Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experience with Malus fusca??

2 posters

Go down

Experience with Malus fusca?? Empty Experience with Malus fusca??

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2015 12:18 am

We have one I'm thinking should be layered:

Experience with Malus fusca?? M_%20fusca4

It's between two big cedars and duking it out with a Holodiscus discolor and an Acer circinatum for scarce light. This shot is facing east so there's only a wee bit of afternoon sun. It's had a few sporadic flowers occasionally but I've never noticed any fruit. I'll be the first to admit deciduous is not really my thing but if nothing else I think this could eventually become good trading stock:

Experience with Malus fusca?? M_fusca2

Experience with Malus fusca?? M_fusca3

The book tells us this species is slow growing so I'm wondering what to expect time -wise for layering. 2 years? Since it's in shade I don't see it happening quickly. Anyone with M. fusca experience?

Back to top Go down

Experience with Malus fusca?? Empty Re: Experience with Malus fusca??

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2015 11:48 pm

*crickets chirping*
So this morning the cedar got pruned as did the Ocean Spray neighbor. Should get half-a-day of sun now.

Experience with Malus fusca?? M_Fusca9

It's 5' to the fork that's getting layered. Thinking when (and if) it takes we'll go with the trunk movement but at 40" it may be too big for bonsai. Welcoming tree maybe??

Experience with Malus fusca?? M_Fusca10

Isolated trunks:

Experience with Malus fusca?? M_Fusca12

Here's the base:

Experience with Malus fusca?? M_Fuscatrunk

Check out goog Malus fusca images. The apples are like cherries!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Sun May 17, 2015 2:48 am

I have zero experience with that species.   Neutral
The bark looks promising though, and I like that root base.  How big do the leaves get on this thing, when they harden off?
Plus, does it naturally seem to grow with tight internodes?  Or, is it a rangy beast?

I personally wouldn't mess with airlayering, unless you're just interested in working on a science project or something.  At 5 inches across, the base on this tree is not all that big.
And, like I said - that is an interesting looking root base/nebari.  But, it is getting a bit late in the year to collect these sorts of wild-growing things with any surety of success. If it's already hardened off that first flush of new leaves for the spring, it may be a smart move to wait until next spring to dig it up. You could circle cut the roots in the fall though, as initial preparation work for eventual collection of this tree later on in the spring.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 17, 2015 8:09 am

Auballagh wrote:I have zero experience with that species.   :|

You're not alone. The entire image history of the internet has produced exactly zero Malus fusca bonsai. Very surprising. So rarity huh? That should add 5Gs to the finished tree :D Tell you what: When my sci project is done, bring me a 5" juniper or pine and I'll take the f.e. loader and plop the whole bank into the back of your pickup. Deal?

Okay. Can't resist. How adorable are these??

Experience with Malus fusca?? P1240821

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 am

So we had our heatwave this week (84F) and thought it wise to check on the layers. Apparently the science project is going to be successful.

Experience with Malus fusca?? Omf8_20_15

Started a wisteria at the same time and it's filling out with roots as well. Might need a jaws-of-life to extricate it.

Experience with Malus fusca?? Ows8_20_15

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:44 am

Ha.....exsquisite little fruits!! They look like little Macintoshs'......yoink....then beat feet from the orchard owner!!! Ahhh, youth....... Sad Wink
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Haha ... oh man. I grew up in an old neighborhood of San Diego. The crew had that place wired. Does anything taste better than stolen fruit?
[btw ... thanks man. if you need me .. i got you]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down