Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Callicarpa pruning

2 posters

Go down

Callicarpa pruning Empty Callicarpa pruning

Post  Dave Martin Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:53 pm

My pertner has a Callicarpa 'Japanese Beauty Berry', which she bought last year. (At the last years Capel Manor show Big Steve!)
It was repotted this year and has been left to its ownn devices pretty much. When I looked at it the other day I saw that where it had been pruned last year that there was a lot of die back and loss of the pruned branches?
It is very healthy, when it comes to pruning next year are there any tips available? Its not a variety that I have had anything to do with so I am somewhat in the dark Embarassed and there doesnt appear to be much written about them?
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Callicarpa pruning Empty Re: Callicarpa pruning

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm

Yuji Yoshimura details its care in the tables at the back of his book. I've "translated" it to make sense of the symbols used and it suggests:-

Trim with scissors back to three or four leaves, after blossoming and before the new buds harden in late summer.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks Kev, it's a lovely looking plant but there is very little written about it. I hadn't thiought of looking in Yoshimura's book.

Kunio Kobayashi has a lovely example of one in his book and surprisingly there was an article in Kinbon last year where Kimura produce a shohin forest planting of Callicarpa. It's the smallest thing I have seen him work on!

Many thanks.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down