Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Careful with that diatomaceous earth!

4 posters

Go down

Careful with that diatomaceous earth! Empty Careful with that diatomaceous earth!

Post  Precarious Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:11 am

Since I work with people suffering from lung disease, thought I would throw this out there in friendly fashion for people who use DE for bonsai or are considering it. If I were using it, I would rinse it thoroughly and do so far away from the house. And on repot, I would want the old soil to be damp so dust could not float up and be inspired. If I were using it in the driveway/garage for an oil dry, I think I would quit(I'm picturing the clouds of dust I raise and surely breathe when sweeping the garage and driveway). If I were disposing of it, it would be where it couldn't later be walked on, tracked in, crushed to dust and breathed in. And finally, if I were using DE, I would do so with a professional level mask that seals all the spaces between facial skin and mask.

MSDS for diatomaceous earth:

"Chronic Health Effects: This product may contain crystalline silica (CS), which is classified as a hazard by
inhalation.Long term inhalation of respirable crystalline silica dusts in excess of the TLV
(threshold limit value), over a prolonged period may cause a non-cancerous lung disease
(silicosis). Inhalation of respirable crystalline silica has been classified as carcinogenic
(Group1) byIARC, a unit of the World Health Organization. Respirable crystalline silica is
listed by the NTP as a known human carcinogen."

Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Careful with that diatomaceous earth! Empty Re: Careful with that diatomaceous earth!

Post  M. Frary Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 am

Precarious, they sell the dust at hardwares and garden centers. Ypu sprinkle a barrier all the way around the foundation of your house to keep ants out. It gets in the little cracks of their exoskeleton and irritates the crap out of them. No joke.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Careful with that diatomaceous earth! Empty Re: Careful with that diatomaceous earth!

Post  Precarious Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:36 am

Yes they do, for years now.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm

M. Frary wrote:    Precarious, they sell the dust at hardwares and garden centers. Ypu sprinkle a barrier all the way around the foundation of your house to keep ants out. It gets in the little cracks of their exoskeleton and irritates the crap out of them. No joke.

well, that explains why my exoskelatory nether regions have been so damn chaffed and irritatated !!!

btw mike - precarious = david g. = fellow AAC member Cool

in all seriousness though, now i know what to do with the sifting dust besides snorting it.

thanks for the warning david and the advice mike !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Precarious wrote:Since I work with people suffering from lung disease, thought I would throw this out there in friendly fashion for people who use DE for bonsai or are considering it.  If I were using it, I would rinse it thoroughly and do so far away from the house.  And on repot, I would want the old soil to be damp so dust could not float up and be inspired.  If I were using it in the driveway/garage for an oil dry, I think I would quit(I'm picturing the clouds of dust I raise and surely breathe when sweeping the garage and driveway).  If I were disposing of it, it would be where it couldn't later be walked on, tracked in, crushed to dust and breathed in.  And finally, if I were using DE, I would do so with a professional level mask that seals all the spaces between facial skin and mask.

MSDS for diatomaceous earth:

"Chronic Health Effects: This product may contain crystalline silica (CS), which is classified as a hazard by
inhalation.Long term inhalation of respirable crystalline silica dusts in excess of the TLV
(threshold limit value), over a prolonged period may cause a non-cancerous lung disease
(silicosis). Inhalation of respirable crystalline silica has been classified as carcinogenic
(Group1) byIARC, a unit of the World Health Organization. Respirable crystalline silica is
listed by the NTP as a known human carcinogen."

Those of us whose lungs no longer work as they should thank you!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down