Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bald Cypress

+3
DougB
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Neil Brough
7 posters

Go down

Bald Cypress  Empty Bald Cypress

Post  Neil Brough Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:33 am

Two trees after defoliating and wiring , our growing season here in New Zealand is coming to an end. Great to have a few Bald Cypress in my collection ,spectacular growth and healing rates and bark and foliage qualities and colour . Trees are from large nursery stock and in training since 2013.
Cheers Neil
Bald Cypress  ZXnwNHN
Bald Cypress  UZaoBcM

Neil Brough

Back to top Go down

Bald Cypress  Empty Re: Bald Cypress

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:24 pm

can you show & tell us a bit more about the creation/preservation/etc of the hollow(s) in the first pic...

(i had to squint really hard to see them Shocked Wink )
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Nice trees. I especially like the top in the first picture. Done by hand or machine?
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Brough Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 am

Hi cool the top pic Flat Top was inspired by John Geanangels work on his trees, seeing such great examples of Flat tops including Vaughn Bantings and Guy Guidrys trees. The tree is hollow down just below the second hole and drains any collected water out through a hole in the back of the tree.I pretty much bored it hollow with a 16ml auger drill and enlarged it with a speedy bore drill and extension . The holes are gradually healing over and will look a bit more natural , i used the small dremel to carve the deadwood where the tree has been reduced. The wood has been treated with the torch and lime sulphur , its a bit unushall to carve splinters and tears so ive let it dry between carving stages.
The woods very resistant to rotting so i throught i'd give the tree a bit of a different look hollowing it right out. Has nice nebari and a knee currently burried in muck .Yes i need to work on posting pics lol cheers Neil

Neil Brough

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Nice trees Neil! I could always come visit them if you would like Laughing ...not that you aren't doing a fine job!

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Is only the heartwood rot resistant? I had heard the sapwood is just as rot prone as any other tree.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:41 am

Only bald cypress heartwood is rot resistant, and these trees are likely far too young to have any. So they'll need to have preservation steps taken or in a couple of years rot will take its toll.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Brough Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:38 am

Hi guys thanks for your comments , the most important thing for me is the trees health so regular preservation applications will be required . The wood is not in the same league as say a Hawthorn for example but the healing and growth output are stunning. The developing lower branches will need to be thinned possibly into deadwood . John your Flat Top displayed at the Coralina Bonsai Expo is terrific .
Cheers Neil

Neil Brough

Back to top Go down

Post  ironman Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:18 pm

How would you preserve the wood, Zach?

ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:02 pm

ironman wrote:How would you preserve the wood, Zach?
PC-Petrifier. Available at Amazon.com.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Brough Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:58 am

Zach the petrifier wood hardener would be a cunning plan nice , so to date the deadwood and hollowed areas within the tree have had the butane torch and lime sulphur.
Neil

Neil Brough

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down