Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics)

4 posters

Go down

Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics) Empty Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics)

Post  Michael T Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Curious, a few days ago I potted a very very large Taxus in a grow box.  In doing so, I drastically reduced a 4 foot x 2 foot x 1 foot deep root ball into a 25 inch x 15 inch x 6 inch wooden box.  While there is still a mess of fine feeder roots around the base, I think I may have over done it.

I also cut back the upper growth leaving basically a sprig of healthy growth on each branch.

Here's the question, if it were dead or dying, wouldn't those sprigs start drooping, weeping?  Would they lack turgidity (sp?). Lack rigidness?  Or is Taxus a tree that can live a while on reserves?

From this

Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics) Img_0211

to this

Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics) Img_0212

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics) Empty Re: Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics)

Post  leatherback Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Just looking at the box it sits in, I would say this is not too drastic. Yews can take a lot. However, from what I understand, a very long recovery time is needed after such an event. As a matter a fact.. I have a yew that has now been just sitting for a year, waiting for me to work on it, after digging it last march. (Which makes me think.. I should post it).

J.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:46 pm

That's what I've always thought about them, but I've never really beat one up like this before either.

I would think if the root zone was dead or too severely damaged that the shoots would wilt, droop. So far, they aren't.

I won't do anything with it but feed the heck out of it for a couple of years.

I'm trying to get it to back bud profusely on the lower reaches of the tree. There are quite a few small adventitious buds where the primary branches start.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:12 am

I had one die on me a few years back. Main causes of death I have narrowed down to..

- Rootball too wet (Especially in winter) as I left too much soil on the rootball, which clogged the drainage hole
- Thought it was doing great the next spring, and started working the tree

leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:51 pm

Maybe some shade would be a good idea to reduce transpiration. Yews are shade tolerant and naturally grow under a woodland canopy. Why not get shade cloth and drape it over your tree (it looks really heavy to drag into shade). You can also raise local humidity and reduce water loss by adding damp sphagnum to the surface.

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Taxus Health? (Updated with Pics) Empty taxus

Post  Dirk Hoorelbeke Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:24 pm

When they where in the field and full power, they take that kind of abuse. I've even cut everything, only leaving a few green needles on the stem and doing the rootwork you did. Recuperation and full box in 3 years (akadama/bims). I've don the same thing (but less rootwork) and putting smaller ones in the ground with good result. After 2 years I did a cleanup of the rootball (of the smaller ones). Several became weak. My conclusion (personal) First action be aggressive, after that don't work roots and foliage the same time if you want a big reduction. The foliage that was on the inside of the tree will turn white / yellow when you expose them, not a drama, but keep semi-shaded for the first year.

Dirk Hoorelbeke

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down