Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle

+3
Oliver Muscio
JimLewis
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
7 posters

Go down

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle Empty simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:32 pm

sorry for the title but "lesions on a juniperus virginiana" just sounds so... clinical.  Wink
and i didnt put this under "pest & diseases" as it looks more like growths rather than a pest or disease

anyways, i was doing some pre-season branchlette removal from a eastern red cedar forest i have planted in a cut-off cask

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100010

and came across a bunch of these things on some branches of several, but not all the trees
in situ:

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100011

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100012

close-ups:

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100013

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100014

and dissections:

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100015

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100016

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle P3100017

so, like i said, to my untrained eye, it doesn't look like a pest or disease, but i could be wrong...
but if anyone knows what it is or if i should be concerned i would be most appreciative...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle Empty Re: simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Looks in second-to-last picture like a gall.  Trees also look very unhealthy and maybe dead.  J. virginiana turns ugly color in winter, but that light brown spells death w/o the transfiguation.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle Empty Re: simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:08 pm

thanks jim... yes, i know they are in less than perfect health... i won a bucket full at in a raffle drawing and they were really crammed in there, so i separated them and stuck them in that cut off cask last spring... they didnt look bad last summer, but right now it is march in wisconsin, so i am hoping they rebound this spring if left unmolested (any further)...

so, what is a gall ???

and should i be concerned ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:26 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall

Here's a similar gall found on bald cypress -- in this case, one of mine, in Florida:

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle Bc_gal10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Looks like cedar-apple rust galls to me. If so, may produce gelatinous protrusions this spring.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:48 pm

thanks jim and oliver...

i just got back in from picking them off as best i can...

but per oliver i was now able to find this:

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/CedarAppleRust.pdf
(googling just "gall" was too general.)

but still pretty vague on how to treat other than fungicide and even that they couch in disclaimers Rolling Eyes

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Oliver Muscio wrote:Looks like cedar-apple rust galls to me.  If so, may produce gelatinous protrusions this spring.
Oliver

I Agree! Before or as soon as you see the tell tale orange spore masses oozing out of the galls, remove them, bag and burn or dispose them, dont let the spores release and spread - it is a chronic problem with junipers and will spread to apples, its alternate victim. (equally ugly in apples) The infection is difficult to cure, diligent gall removal is mandatory.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:52 pm

damn... after pulling them off, i just tossed 'em on the ground...

didnt know i was dealing with the crichton's andromeda strain affraid

i will be more diligent now that i know
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:19 pm

The more I look at those pic the more certain I am that it won't matter for those trees.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:43 pm

you may be right...
maybe thats why they were tossed into the raffle Rolling Eyes

and if so, oh well... live and learn.

should know for sure sooner than later
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Cooper Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:16 pm

I really think that unlike the title of a song by a certain singer and songwriter pair of artists the 'Leaves that are Green' they are almost assuredly are not and even if 'April Come She Will' it is may not save the tree from being 'Home Bound'
Michael Cooper
Michael Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:22 pm

sorry to rain on the naysayers parade, but this is the forest as of this weekend...
(the appearance of browning on the right is just that - an appearance due to an extra shaft of light coming thru the shade)

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle Pc040010

only found a coupla galls... been treating with a systemic...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Glad to see it -- and surprised.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 pm

by the way, michael... i neglected to acknowledge the cleverness of your gloomy prediction...
well done !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveV. Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:16 am

Hi Kevin, Any updates on your Eastern Red Cedar grove?? Love to see pictures if you have any.

Thank you!

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 pm

dave - no real update other than it is living !

LOL - actually just did a major clean up, height reduction and branch selection on it during our last warm spell in january...
(and in keeping with this tread, i did not see any carbunkles on it)

this is the only picture i have available from that session and it shows all the beautiful drabness of winter Wink

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle Img_2011

the future is repotting this spring at which time i will also rehab and preserve the wooden pot for longevity...
after that i am just going to let it run a bit to gain some more trunk girth, and do more branch selection.

(typing this seems like de ja vu... did i already post this ??? Razz )
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 pm

this is what the gelatinous blobs looked like in the spring of 2016...
luckily, after treatment, there have been no further outbreaks since then
(resurrecting this thread for the benefit of some of our AAC guys)

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle May_2012

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle May_2010

simon has carbunkles on his garfunkle May_2011

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  brian soldano Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 am

I have a bunch of parsons juni growing out in grandmas yard. Half of them had this shit,on them last spring. Ill be out chopping off all those garfunkles before they turn to goo this weekend and fungicide spraying everything. I treated all my crabs and junis at home last fall and now bud break is upon us, I'll be blasting the Danconil on them again biweekly thru midsummer to stop this grossness...

brian soldano

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:28 pm

yeah man... when i saw the alien goo, I literally freaked the hell OUT. affraid

so far it seems like once the funugae is eliminated, it stay gone...
unless of course they get re-tainted.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  brian soldano Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Wild juniper and apples can be effected and easily spread to the benches, even from over a mile away. Regular and early Prevention is the best treatment.

brian soldano

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:19 pm

wow... didnt know the spores could travel THAT far !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down