Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berberis collected from tree nusery

4 posters

Go down

Berberis collected from tree nusery Empty Berberis collected from tree nusery

Post  leatherback Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Today our bonsaisociety had an outing to the tree nursery of one of our clun members. Each year he offers up a chance to walk around his growing fields and select trees we want to buy, which are lifted and balled up on the spot.

One of the trees I bought was a nicely tapered berberis. Big time trimming tomorrow. Someone have some spare bandages for me?

Berberis collected from tree nusery Bonsai10
Berberis collected from tree nusery Bonsai11
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Berberis collected from tree nusery Empty Re: Berberis collected from tree nusery

Post  Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Nice material...congratulations Smile

Look forward to see the trimming of it....how big is it ?

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Berberis collected from tree nusery Empty Re: Berberis collected from tree nusery

Post  my nellie Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Nice find!
You ask for extra bandages Very Happy  Heavy gloves will do the job Leatherback.
Two days ago I transplanted my berberis  (nursery plant) in a much smaller training pot. I have root pruned and cut back very hard and also wired some of the remaining branches.
Branches are brittle and snap easily, so be careful. The wood is of a beautiful dark yellow color and the roots, too.
Unfortunately one needed branch of mine broke while I was bending it with the wire.... I am now keeping it protected and praying for the recovery.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:52 pm

i am VERY much looking forward to just the pics after the first haircut !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:06 am

Very nice trunk!

As others have said, looking forward to an update when you really start work on it.

Cheers

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Thx all,

As I knew you were dying to see where this was going.. I decided to work on it today! cheers

Just to show the base of the plant, and how it was burried.. The green line represents the old soil line..:
Berberis collected from tree nusery Bonsai12

Choosen front & primary styling. One branch on the left does not bend and will need assistence of a small saw cut, once the tree has recovered from the potting & styling..
Berberis collected from tree nusery Bonsai13
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:28 am

Nice...how tall is the tree now ?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Hm.. Good question. I did not measure it. On top of my head I would say maybe 30cm?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down