Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

article on display

3 posters

Go down

article on display Empty article on display

Post  dick benbow Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:26 pm

International bonsai in it's current issue (2014 #3) featured an excellent article with photographs from an event that featured 7 bonsai artists. never seeing other's work before them, all set up their display and then were allowed to view the efforts of those that followed.
All were allowed to select from a tree, kusamono, tenpai and stands and jitta. Some were pretty close in their end results.
Peter warren and ryan neil were similar in their minimalistic use of items. kora Dalager and william Valavanis were a little more
elaborate. ( i understood and appreciated both extremes). Kathy shaner and david de groot were almost exact and were what I would call somewhat in the middle of both extremes.
I thought the articles was worth mentioning for students of display. I enjoyed it immensely Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

article on display Empty Re: article on display

Post  JimLewis Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:11 pm

If this was from Bill's 50th Anniversary bash a couple of years ago, it was very enjoyable when watched in person.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:33 am

Please note: The names of Kathy Shaner and mine were inadvertently reversed-Dave de Groot and my display were virtually the same-except for the fact that Dave placed the tree a bit closer to the scroll, which I readily concede made it the better display-it was a difference of a few inches so not only size matters but distance does also

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Kora, appreciate your reply.

dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 pm

the exercise was a tremendous learning experience-would suggest something like this format be done more often-I found it to be even better, than if one expert offers various options-because it is still that one experts point of view, wheras if various people have a chance to demonstrate their point of view it opens up more discussions.

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down