Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plumbago for bonsai??

4 posters

Go down

Plumbago for bonsai?? Empty Plumbago for bonsai??

Post  bumblebee Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:02 am

I've been cutting back overgrown plants in my front gardens today and got to wondering. Has anybody tried using Plumbago for bonsai? I don't know the latin name for it, but it very common in the gardens here. The main stems eventually get woody, puts out long shoots all over the place, and has beautiful blue flowers in loose clusters all summer. Leaves are small. I want to try it but would like to know if anyone has any experience with this plant. Thanks.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Plumbago for bonsai?? Empty Plumbago

Post  bonsaisr Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:14 am

Plumbago or leadwort is Ceratostigma plumbaginoides. It is essentially an herbaceous perennial. Since they make bonsai out of chrysanthemums, you could try it as an experiment.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Plumbago for bonsai?? Empty Re: Plumbago for bonsai??

Post  JimLewis Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:21 pm

In the deep south it can gt to be a fairly large and woody plant. I can't imagine why you couldn't make a bonsai of it; you might have to experiment a bit as to the bendability of the stems.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:14 pm

Fairly long internodes. Whippy while young and green, but very stiff once lignified and brown. Love the blue flowers. I've grown them for a couple of decades in my unheated conservatory, but never considered using one for bonsai. Could make quite a nice tree I think.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Yes they are huge in my garden--and they spread! Until now i've just cut them way back 2-3 times a years, but maybe I'll try bonsai instead. Thank you for the input.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down