Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND

3 posters

Go down

WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND Empty WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND

Post  llantrisant Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 pm

I want to lift my maple,which was in a pot but planted ,on a slate, to grow on 4 years ago.There are some large roots and lots of fine ones.Would I be able to cut the large roots now and then cut the rest next spring and lift it and pot up.

llantrisant

Back to top Go down

WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND Empty Re: WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND

Post  63pmp Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:07 am

i would wait till next spring and do the whole lot in one go.

63pmp

Back to top Go down

WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND Empty WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND

Post  llantrisant Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks for the post.Not sure if the climate here in wales is like yours.You don't think it would be to much of a shock to do it in one go?

llantrisant

Back to top Go down

WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND Empty Re: WHEN TO LIFT MOUNTAIN MAPLE FROM GROUND

Post  leatherback Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 am

Both would work. I prefer to cut the main roots before I go to transplant, allowing the plant to create some new roots nearer to the trunk.

My main concern would be that your tree probably has very few vertical roots below the trunk: Cutting the main horizontal roots may lead to a situation where the tree looses water roots.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  63pmp Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:28 am

wales is nothing like my climate. Leatherback has it right. im on a mobile so typing sucks.

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  63pmp Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:34 am

im geussing there japanese maple? i hate messing with j maple roots at any time the plant is not dormant. with plenty of fine roots you should be ok to go in spring. ive had escaped plants were ive just pulled the pot and roots out of the ground and not cut anything, just it aif pruned and the plant survived. was an apricot though. dunno about maples and that technique.

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down