Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

treeseeds from Japan

3 posters

Go down

treeseeds from Japan Empty treeseeds from Japan

Post  Guest Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 am

I found theese seed under a tree in Kyoto, some of them are now growing.
I have no idea what kind of tree they are, please help  Smile 
treeseeds from Japan 19478210

treeseeds from Japan Img_5918

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

treeseeds from Japan Empty Re: treeseeds from Japan

Post  Arnaldo Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm

The seeds and the seedling looks like a Melia (melia azedarach) usually called Chinaberry, its a very ressistant and elegant tree with beautiful lilac flowers

treeseeds from Japan 768px-Melia_azedarach_flower
Arnaldo
Arnaldo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm

With huge compound leaves and the berries are VERY poisonous to warm-blooded animals. In Florida they tend to be an invasive pest.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Arnaldo

With taking a second look at the leaves, would you then still think it is a melia?...I think there is a difrence.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnaldo Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes, I think that its melia 100% sure, when chinaberrys germinate looks entirely like that seedling
Arnaldo
Arnaldo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Many thanks  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 am

Knowing the tree is poisonous have I lost a lot of interest in keeping the plants....many thanks for all inputs.

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 am

Yes this tree is an invader here in South Africa aswell, we call it the Syringa. Melia asedarach. Very quick very strong tree grows Anywhere! And absolutely beautifull to look at.

Yvonne although the berries are poisonous, it shouldnt deter you from trying it as bonsai. I have never heard of anyone or animal for that matter that died eating it. Because people dont go about eating poisonous berries from trees , and neither do animals. Its extremely bitter...yes I have tried it as a child but you spit it out and run for milk.....

The African Continent is flooded with this tree, and I dont think we will ever win the battle in eradicating them. There are still the ignorant assholes who plants it .

You wont believe how many of the so called indoor potplants are poisonous, but yet we all survive though childhood. hihihi And how many plant in our gardens are poisonous. tooo numerous to mention.

Anyway, just a thought.

Love and light.
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 am

You are right Andre...poison plants are everywere...what made me feel like kicking the plants out, was after reading about them...warm climate and 50 cm long leaves...not really bonsaimaterial in Denmark  Neutral 

Have a nice day....kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnaldo Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 am

Hi, in my opinion you can try grow the seedlings, have nothing to lose, it can ressist moderate cold if you can grow ficus in denmark this will be very easy  Smile 

In my experience with the melias it can reduce very well the leaves, you can try at least
Arnaldo
Arnaldo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Arnaldo

The 50 cm. long leaves does not make me want to use it as bonsai....the warmer climate?...Denmark is becomming warmer, and the tree may survive here, lets see how it survive the winter, I will leave it outside.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down