Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using bone meal?

3 posters

Go down

Using bone meal? Empty Using bone meal?

Post  Oleg6 Sun May 18, 2014 9:52 pm

I have just potted my trees after the winter using river stone, lava, Turface (fired clay), Opti sorb (Diatomaceous Earth) and pine bark. The mix changes for the tree: Pines, junipers, cedar, fir, larch-(developing-pine bark) and a cherry. It's the first time I've not used soil: Peat moss, triple mix, sand and a little clay. While some like the junipers still have the inner rootball in soil ( not much of a shock) others the cedar and cherry were bare rooted and the larch had a pretty strong root pruning. I have read that the use of bone meal (high in phosphorous 2:14:0) directly after root pruning/repotting can be advantageous, has anyone used this? like this? It is granular and will be washed into the crevasses.
Thanks
Chris

Oleg6

Back to top Go down

Using bone meal? Empty Re: Using bone meal?

Post  Marty Weiser Mon May 19, 2014 1:44 am

I use bone meal as part of my organic mix. Most of it is a commercial organic lawn fertilizer (Dr. Earth) and I supplement. I generally start applying to the surface 1-2 weeks after repotting - mostly due to the frenzy to repot and then getting around to spreading some fertilizer.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon May 19, 2014 3:27 am

It shouldn't hurt anything. On the other hand, regular fertilization with a balanced product would be good too. I gave a soil talk years ago and remembered something about high phosphorus levels and mycorrhizal innoculation.
http://mining.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/MycorrhizaAndSoilPhosphorusLevels.pdf
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Oleg6 Mon May 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Marty, John, thanks to both of you. I understood from the paper John that the quantity should be kept small or the benefits are negated, is that correct? The only reason I was thinking of bone meal is I have always believed it was best to give a tree a month or so without regular fertilizer after repotting. can I use a balanced fertilizer on top of the bone meal in a few weeks without fear of over fertilizing?
Thanks again
Chris

Oleg6

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue May 20, 2014 12:04 am

I think you (we) got the gist of the article. Phosphorus availability to plants may be limited by both low soil concentrations and the limitations of the metabolically demanding uptake process. P is one of the main elements whose uptake is facilitated by the presence of mycorrhyzae.
Regarding the caveat to not fertilize after repotting, I believe this is not true. Brent Walston, Bill Valavanis and I believe Walter Pall all have stated as much. I hope they chime in if I have misquoted them. A balanced fertilizer in appropriate concentrations will not be harmful.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down