Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some things Ive been up to

5 posters

Go down

Some things Ive been up to Empty Some things Ive been up to

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:06 am

After a catastrophic loss to my collection due to unemployment (had to pay the bills) Now that I'm back on my feet I am in the process of rebuilding my collection.I have been very fortunate to run across some great deals lately and here are a few of them .I will probibly start a thread of the development of each soon enough but here is a teaser of what is to come.First off today I went back to the nursery where I purchased the katsura tree and decided to take a walk in the back of their establishment after being granted permission to do so.After a few minutes I was greeted by the owner We had a great conversation and he was nice enough to help add to my collection . Due to the recent materials I will be obtaining from several locations lately I dub myself "the nursery ninja" First up is a donated yes I said free to me for "appreciating plant material" score from the owner A old hawthorn of unknown species he claims he has had this tree stuck way back in the back for at least 20 years .Can some one help me identify this ??

Some things Ive been up to Dsc02013
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02014
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02015
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02016
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02018
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02019
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02020

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Some things Ive been up to Empty Re: Some things Ive been up to

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:16 am

Next up is a zelkova He said if I wanted it it would set me back $25 affraid . I about fell down and snatched it up.
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02021
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02022
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02023
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02024
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02028
I am still exposing the nebari on it but so far it looks good .Two of the branches will be cut on this and one saved for the trunkline.

Last edited by Seth Ellwood on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding aditional picture)

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:23 am

Next up is my big beautiful trident maple this was the most exspensive purchase to date $250 for a 5 in trunk!!!!
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02025
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02026
Some things Ive been up to Dsc02027
I am concidering a trunk chop where indicated to help with taper and more compactness?

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:32 am

Here are a few others I aquired through horse trading for some other things I did not need
A seiju elmSome things Ive been up to Dsc02029
and a hocado elmSome things Ive been up to Dsc02030
And one of the only trees I did not get rid of my quinceSome things Ive been up to Dsc02031
All of these trees will be going in large plastic tubs (including the quince)for more development b4 going in to bonsai pots .I will have a thread on each in the near future and will be able to track their progression.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 am

Good you're rebuilding. Lots more opportunities for trees if you start a few airlayering projects...may help you stretch your dollar.

Happy trunk chopping in the spring!

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  JLudlam Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:34 am

Nice start with the 2-4-1 deals (if you air layer that is) The first tree judging by the leaves looks like an oak to me. May be wrong, wouldnt be my first time but I try and can almost guarentee that I am right.
JLudlam
JLudlam

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:00 pm

That is what I thought also however I dont know many oaks that have thorns.The owner said it was a hawthorne but he could be wrong. I will be getting a washington hawthorne from him also that has a 4-5 in trunk it will be chopped down to a stump and re grown from there.I don't think any of the tops of these trees will be airlayered due to not having much character. I have 7 more trees I am waiting to go dormant to dig so I am focusing all my energy in collecting and refining the material I will get and not try to double my stock by layering . Although it is a good idea.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I'd have said Hawthorn for the first one but the thorns in the mage don't look dangerous enough! Are there some seriously sharp thorns too?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:15 pm

That's what I thought as well there are other thorns but very few and the leaf is diffrent from traditional hawthorne that I am used to seeing. I think the only way to know for sure is to wait for spring blooms to determine the species.

Last edited by Seth Ellwood on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Definately not Oak. I'm thinking Hawthorne as well.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Is'nt the leafshape a bit like Crateagus Cunatea, the Japanese Hawthorn?

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 pm

that is what I was thinking aswell I know the traditional hawthorn c.monogyna has a distinctive leaf on it as does the c.phaenopyrum
although the leaf may differ to some extent they are distinguishable .But this little one I have is stumping me Shocked

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:20 am

Went to the collection site of the pine and hop hornbeam and took some photos of them and was egar to see if the sugar was flowing?? leaves were starting to turn but not quite ready.I was also wanting to know if any one can confirm the species of pine this is .I am starting to think it is a scotch or bristle cone and not a japanese pine.
Some things Ive been up to Img_0610
Some things Ive been up to Img_0611[url=https://servimg.com/view/14379618/38]Some things Ive been up to Img_0710
Some things Ive been up to Img_0613
Some things Ive been up to Img_0614

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 am

And now the pine
Some things Ive been up to Img_0615
Some things Ive been up to Img_0616
Some things Ive been up to Img_0618
Some things Ive been up to Img_0619
Some things Ive been up to Img_0620
Some things Ive been up to Img_0621

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 am

Here is a euonymus alatus I have on hold as well as many others to choose from
Some things Ive been up to Img_0711
Some things Ive been up to Img_0712
Some things Ive been up to Img_0713
Some things Ive been up to Img_0714

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:51 am

Here is another one that I have the ability to collect but I do not see much potential at the moment however If I don't collect it it will go to it's certain death.I am not sure of the species mabye cypress,cedar,or sequoia.I am trying to limit myself on the amount of material I have due to space issues and early in my bonsai career I would try to get any material I could get my hands on .But now I am trying to get quality material and not just anything I can get my hands on.I guess it is a maturing in my self and hobby and this will also allow me to spend more quality time focusing on making a few great trees instead of making a lot of ok trees.
Some things Ive been up to Img_0715
Some things Ive been up to Img_0716
Some things Ive been up to Img_0717
Some things Ive been up to Img_0718

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi Seth. The base on that hornbeam is excellent!! That pine is not Scots. Habit looks like bristlecone, but might be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks, I have had my eye on this hornbeam for 5 years now and have been salivating over they day I could collect it .Once that task has been accomplished I hope i can keep it alive.I am thinking of removing all un nessary large branches when I collect to help the tree focus on wound healing and root development and not providing energy to branches that will be removed anyway.I am also thinking bristle cone pine this tree will be dug and put in pure turface except for the collected root ball.and left alone for a year or so to regain strength I will also be removing the top and lower branches that are un necessary for design to help re route energy to necessary parts of the tree.If it is bristle cone my personal experience with the species is it will readily back bud on old wood so that is very exciting.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 pm

I don't think it is a Bristlecone pine - P aristata. Their needles are always very distinctive with spots of white resin.

The last one looks like giant sequoia from a distance but the needles up close are larger than those on mine. Up close it looks more like a Japanese redwood - Cryptomeria japonca. Not sure.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Kev. Is the giant Sequoia a Wellingtonia? Thats what it looks like to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down