Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pot ID????

5 posters

Go down

Pot ID???? Empty Pot ID????

Post  JimLewis Tue May 13, 2014 4:16 pm

I've had this pot for some time.  It is a small, unglazed rectangle 5 1/2 x 4+ x 1 1/2 inches; sharp corners and small lip.  Looks to me like a fair quality slab-built pot.  This rather ornate double seal chop should be readily identifiable, but I don't find it on on either of the two pot databases I know of.   This could, I suppose, be upside down, but it "feels" right this way.

Pot ID???? Chop_j10

Anybody know anything?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Pot ID???? Empty Re: Pot ID????

Post  JimLewis Thu May 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Nobody?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Fri May 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Sorry can't help with the pot. But I can compliment you on the excellent photo. It is probably the clearest and best I have seen on the forums.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks (but I'd rather have help on the pot <g>). Macro setting on my 20-year-old Kodak Easy Share DX6490, one of the best and most versatile digital cameras ever produced IMO, and now, Kodak is out of the camera business.

Here, FWIW, is the entire pot:

Pot ID???? 6_10_a10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  nekotoban Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:34 pm

I've missed this thread. That's Yixing, China. Indeed very clear picture and not upside down.

nekotoban

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 pm

MANY thanks!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoline Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 pm

How long have you had this pot, Jim? Yixing chops have been mass copied by other parts of China and Taiwan, that the chops have become frustrating to authenticate unless the pot can be dated.

Here is an English language link of authentic Yixing pottery (mostly tea pots):
http://www.yixingteapotsale.com/titlepotname.htm

I'm still try to locate the factory seal that is to the left of Yixing chop.

Last edited by Geoline on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a link)
Geoline
Geoline

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:25 am

How long have you had this pot, Jim?

I've had it for 9 or 10 years now.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoline Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:22 am

JimLewis wrote:
How long have you had this pot, Jim?

I've had it for 9 or 10 years now.    

That explains the modern manufacture label to the left which could be one of the legions of Chinese export trading companies next to the Zisha Yixing chop. I looked-up Asian trading companies on Alibaba and still could not identify the mark. Both stamps kind of look machined metal precision stamped which could mean mass manufactured in a large factory.

I believe even Japan companies even commission the best Yixing factories to make pots from prized Zisha clay and have a special importer's incised trademark for the commissioned pots.

Conclusion:
Since Yixing folk pottery has much collector value like Japanese Hakata traditional pottery, you can't be sure of it's origin or even sure if it's actually made of real zisha clay from Yixing. Real zisha clay is free of toxic metal color additives and won't poison you or your plants. Fake Yixing pottery not only pirates the chopmarks of Yixing put also uses common clay dyed with often toxic substances. The popularity of of Yixing pottery is such that the zisha mines were near depletion by the year 2000 from sources outside of Yixing.

If I come across the company or trading mark in the future, I'll let you know.

In the mean time, the Swedish Gotheborg site has an sizable database of Japanese and Chinese pottery marks:
http://www.gotheborg.com/index.htm

Geoline
Geoline

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks for the info and the link.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  allialli910 Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 am

This is the purple sand pot produced by Dacheng(大成) Company of China more than 20 years ago. I also have many such pots. There are many kinds of pots shape, but they are not produced now. On the left is the trademark of Dacheng Company, and on the right is produced by Yixing Dacheng Company.(宜興大成公司出品)
allialli910
allialli910

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum