Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bonsi from cuttings

4 posters

Go down

bonsi from cuttings Empty bonsi from cuttings

Post  little wing Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Late nz autumn. Today Im going to a place with beautiful trees of all sorts. I spyed them last week and noticed little sproutlings at the base. Im going to take cuttings. Will it be worth a try right before winter. Water or soil start off. Keep indoors or out to help them take. Bonsi school not till next week.

little wing

Back to top Go down

bonsi from cuttings Empty Re: bonsi from cuttings

Post  JimLewis Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Many of us start our smaller bonsai from cuttings. I does depend on the species of tree, however, how successful we are. Some species do well from cuttings; others don't.

Again, you can't (or shouldn't) go around chopping pieces off trees you don't own. Be sure the owners know what you want to do.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Cowing Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Try to find out what the tree is and when the best time for doing cuttings would be. It's not the same for everything.

We've started new trees from Kingsville Boxwood and Shimpaku juniper. We're going to try Chinese Elm this spring.
Craig Cowing
Craig Cowing

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi little wing, I take cuttings in the spring, on most trees as soon as I see buds begin to swell. I've noticed that cuttings from the top of the tree will take better than pieces from lower on the tree, unless they are basal suckers. These seem to take very well on most trees.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  little wing Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:50 am

Gold information... Thankyou very much. Ill let you know how i go.

little wing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down