Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style

5 posters

Go down

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style Empty Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style

Post  Lost2301 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:55 am

I found this Lilac 4 years ago at a tree farm. At the time it had 2 main branches on it when I brought it home. The second branch was under the current branch on the tree. When I removed it from the car it had been torn when it was loaded into the car. I went ahead and finished ripping it off the tree by hand. It was allowed to grow and the next year I wired the only branch left as shown on the tree. It was left alone for a couple of years. It did sprout other limbs and they were all removed this year. This lilac has very small leaves maybe around 1 1/2" and very small flowers for a lilac. It was wired last year and potted this spring. I hope you like it. Comments are welcome.

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style 03411

Mike
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style Empty Re: Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style

Post  JimLewis Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Good start. I say "start" because if it were mine, I'd try to make the upper bend narrower -- much like this Celtis I used to have:

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style Celtis10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style Empty Re: Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style

Post  fiona Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Yup. Me too.

Nice work so far, Lost (insert your real name here).
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Great potential. I agree with Jim -- some creative bending will turn this in a dynamite tree.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am not sure I can make that type of bend on this tree. There is a weak spot on the outside of the trunk just after where the wire starts. The trunk had a small spit right there and I would say abut 15% of the trunk width split off and died. It was probably around 1" long. I cut that off the tree and so there is a little dead section right in that area. I could see doing what your all suggesting and bringing it in more.

Mike

Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Nice work Mike!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:27 am

Here is an updated photo of the tree in June. I am hoping it will bloom next year. A squirrel was doing some design work on the trunk, it now has deadwood on the trunk above the soil. Its filling in nicely, I cut the terminal leaders off back in August which is why I am hoping it will bloom next spring.

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style Img_2812

Mike
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Bend it here -- and sharply. Don't need to do it all at once.

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style Jun18
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:45 am

Here is an updated photo of my tree, taken yesterday. I have made a new page on my website for the this tree HERE. Lots more information on Lilacs for Bonsai HERE.

I am currently working on a very large French Silk and another large Common dark purple. The French Silk is coming along nicely, the Common Purple had a major set back, it was full of Lilac borers, which killed a lot of the tree. Lots of deadwood now on it!!

Syringa - Unknown Variety Literati Style Img_1811
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down