Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often do you increase pot size on growing material?

3 posters

Go down

How often do you increase pot size on growing material? Empty How often do you increase pot size on growing material?

Post  PeacefulAres Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 pm

I have some smaller trees that I want to grow out in nursery pots, rather than in the ground. However, I understand that over potting can be counter productive to the growth of a tree. I was wondering if you guys have a standard for when you move developing tree into a larger pot to allow for more growth.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

How often do you increase pot size on growing material? Empty Re: How often do you increase pot size on growing material?

Post  arihato Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 pm

I use colanders or pond baskets, as they produce a better and finer root system in addition to promoting fast growth. I repot my trainer trees once every 6-7 years. After they are ready (between 10 and 15 years) I pot them in roomy training pots and then it is ever smaller with each repot.
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

How often do you increase pot size on growing material? Empty Re: How often do you increase pot size on growing material?

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:09 am

I use grow boxes with mesh bottoms and tend to move them up every 2 - 4 years. I probably don't get as much trunk growth as some, but I get more chances to prune and adjust the roots. I am slowly moving to longer times between repots as my soil mix evolves to support longer times between repots.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down