Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent

+3
DreadyKGB
Norma
nou2236
7 posters

Go down

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Empty Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent

Post  nou2236 Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm

My japanes holly bonsai started to show a lot of brown leaves as if they are burnt....and many other leaves are yellow and falling a lot and it has lost soooo many leaves in two weeks...and some leaves have brown spots on them but still green in color...i really can't figure out what is the problem exactly!
I also noticed a white pest that forms webs on the branches and there was also a big red insect on the trunk that looks like a lady bug but no legs nor black dots just pure red in color.....so i used 2 small teaspoons of washing machine soap on 1 litre of water and sprayed the tree but i don't know if that will kill the tree so i only used it once and still the pests continue to appear so i squash them with my fingers under water and new ones keep coming again and again and i squash them and remove them by hand under a water shower.
I used Chrysal bonsai liquid feed twice for two weeks now (5ml diluted in one litre of water as instructed on the bottle), (once per week ) and noticed no improvement at all in the tree so i stopped feeding it and kept it outdoor by the window and just water it and shower it every two days since the temperature now is 23 degrees Celsius.
how can i help my tree and is it dying? and this is the season where white flowers should appear on the tree but instead it is becoming unhealthy....or does it need repotting ASAP and the pot is too small for it that is why it is dying?!!!!...i need help please

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Ag71mis43dp20lv6g

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Nq6vm1x08e06re46g

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Z73okoy0styikq06g

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent 69zk7y80d2p0p0i6g

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent 1j21guohz2r08v16g

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Empty Re: Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent

Post  Norma Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Your holly is in trouble with no doubt!   I have several questions:
How long have you had the bonsai and have you ever repotted?   The soil is usually the problem , what is the mix?   Has the tree been inside most of the time?     And one more question ...what does the last photo show? roots??

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Empty Re: Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent

Post  nou2236 Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:03 pm

i had the bonsai for a year and a half now.....i bought it with its soil and glazed pot from the nursery and didn't re-pot it at all since i got it ....have no idea what the mix is that was sold with....it has been inside for the first 5 months in uk in my room by the window "indoors" during winter and spring....then i moved to egypt by summer and has been fine for 8 months in egypt and grew a lot of flowers then suddenly all these problems started to appear since two weeks ago by the begining of this year's spring when i used chrysal fetiliser once per week ....last photo shows the bottom of the soil after i removed the tree from the pot to take a photo then put it back in the pot.....what can be its problem? i don't want it to die
can i repot it now in this condition? or it will die from stress of repotitng? or can i repot without pruning any roots just putting it with its old soil in a bigger pot and surrounding it with fresh soil without touching the roots in any way? i dunno what to do

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:08 pm

I don't have any holly bonsai, but it looks to me as if the tree has root problems. From the look of the leaves and the roots it is being over watered and not draining well. I would clean out most of the old soil and the dead roots. Then use a free draining soil mix and keep it out of the direct sunlight. Try to keep the soil just damp and maintain reasonable humidity around the tree until it begins to produce new growth.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:26 am

Your insect pests are scale insects.
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:36 pm

And that red insect is likely eating some of them.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:05 pm

i repotted it into a bigger pot....and the roots are white in color when i washed it under water before repotting...only one root was black but i left it coz i was afraid to cut anything from the roots and the tree is already stressed from the pests and fertiliser....is that ok?

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Empty "Japanese Holly"

Post  geoffm5eay Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:10 pm

The tree is nothing like my Japanese Holly. More like an English Holly. This species is hardy and should not be kept inside.
The scale insect is a problem, but as has been said the other insect is eating them.
I use methylated spirit on small numbers.

geoffm5eay

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:35 pm

i repotted the tree and since then all of the lower leaves died with the branches and now some of the upper leaves are becoming brown....whats should i do?! this is how it looks like after 5 days from my first post Sad

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent 4ea2rd2b5nqf43c6g

Last edited by nou2236 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Question one - did it have a label stating it was a Japanese Holly/Ilex crenata on it when you got it so we can sort out that issue?

Question two - are you very sentimentally attached to it?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm

no didn't come with any tags stating this...it was listed in the nursery as a chinese holly but when i searched the internet i didn't find any similarity between the chinese holly and my tree in shape....resembles the japanese more...yea i am attached to it why ? i feel that you want to tell me that it is on its way to death and nothing can save it now

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Japanese Holly bonsai (Ilex crenata) is dying or what please help! :( urgent Empty "Japanese Holly"

Post  geoffm5eay Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Well, it does not look too good right now. You said it had been inside that is not good, all that lower stuff especially the dead should be removed. My Japanese Holly right now has no leaves and I am waiting for it to start budding. The leaves are not like the one you have. Did you need to re pot it? What were the roots like? How much root did you remove? How long have you had the tree?

geoffm5eay

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 am

i had the bonsai for a year and a half now.....i bought it with its soil and glazed pot from the nursery and didn't re-pot it at all since i got it ....have no idea what the mix is that was sold with....it has been inside for the first 5 months in uk in my room by the window "indoors" during winter and spring....then i moved to egypt by summer and has been fine for 8 months in egypt and grew a lot of flowers then suddenly all these problems started to appear since two weeks ago by the begining of this year's spring when i used chrysal fetiliser once per week ....last photo shows the bottom of the soil after i removed the tree from the pot to take a photo then put it back in the pot.....
i repot it because i thought it was overfertilised and got burnt

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Post  geoffm5eay Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 am

The insect is scale, and a bad infestation too. That is probably causing the leaf drop. Re potting will stress and already stressed plant. You need to clear the scale ASAP.
I am still not convinced of the species, but that is not a problem. You need an insecticide to get rid, but try to rescue the Ladybirds first as it will kill them.
I don't know what you have available where you are you will have too look around.

geoffm5eay

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:46 am

i got rid of insects for a week now...but the tree has lost all lower leaves now ....there is a whole side of the tree with empty branches down there....will it grow back? if the cause was over fertilisation will that branch grow leaves again?

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Post  geoffm5eay Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:57 am

The cause was nothing to do with fertiliser. It was the insects that have caused the problem. Not too sure if it will come back, possibly. It has two chances. One thing, watch for the scale coming back, they lay eggs and these will hatch so keep an eye on it.

geoffm5eay

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:10 am

those two empty branches down there look grey in color now...what does that mean?

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 am

i found a diethyl ( dimethoxy thiophosphorylthio) succinate/ lathion 57% solution called malathion here for plant insects ...should i use it?

Last edited by nou2236 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 am

There is no harm in trying.

My experience of these trees is that once they get to this stage there is little chance of recovery. Generally speaking (and of course there are exceptions), the difficulty with these trees is that in the UK where you bought it, they are mass imported from a mass producer along with the bog-standard Chinese Elms. I have been asked on three occasions to help resuscitate this species of tree by friends who have been given them as presents - including one tree that came in a polythene-lined wicker basket instead of a pot. All have looked like yours and sadly not one has been saveable.

As I said there's no harm in trying if you are sentimentally attached to the tree. Hope it works.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  nou2236 Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:56 am

apparently am losing hope in recovery...i killed the pests with hands and milathion and repotted the tree, stopped the fertiliser, tried to put it outdoors for a week and still dropped so many leaves so got it indoors by the window opened and still it is becoming brown all over....there is nothing left to try and the damage progression is sooo fast....there are at least 5 brown leaves daily" i remove them so i know the rate of new damage daily"

nou2236

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down