Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Record cold temps?

+7
Leo Schordje
M. Frary
William N. Valavanis
Todd Ellis
JimLewis
appalachianOwl
john jones
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Record cold temps? - Page 2 Empty Re: Record cold temps?

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:10 am

The smaller one is/was inside so it is fine. I covered the larger one. It's not happy, but it's too early to tell anthing more.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey Guys,

winter is the time when painters, prepare their panels and stretched canvas, and start still life or imaginative work. A good time to contemplate, read a good book and enjoy the indoors.

Today's low 69 deg.F [ 20 deg.C ] and later on around 7.30 a.m a nice cold, rainy light shower lasting 5 minutes.

Got a few more of the trees done and I am working my way to the pre and maybe never bonsai.

Winter does seem to get a lot of folk very depressed, including sis, called to say she wished she was home.

Jim, rather than torturing yourself, don't you have any strong backs to move your podocarpus ?

I have several trees that need two or three pairs of hands, but I ask and if I have to pay in advance.

Well, the terrazzo is cold and the shower [bath] will be invigoratingly cold [ probably 73 deg.F / 22 deg.C ?] love this time of the year,so much to do and plan for.
Later, snowbound.
Khaimraj [ in the hot and steamy tropics - you wish - chuckle ] tongue tongue tongue 
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Hey Guys,

winter is the time when painters, prepare their panels and stretched canvas, and start still life or imaginative work. A good time to contemplate, read a good book and enjoy the indoors.

I'm with you.

I've got 3 books to read, and my Bonsai database to keep me busy. I've got tools to clean and sharpen, and some bonsai terms in Japanese to research.

Life is good.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Yesum John,

and we in the warmer zones will keep you from getting visually or mentally bored with an endless barrage of Happy Trees- ha ha ha.
Until you beg for Spring - Twisted Evil 

Just repotted a yard grown Fukien tea, and courtesy the termites, now has a hollow heart, do I fill or do I leave as is, only The Shadow knows................
Also lifted my miracle root survived drying out in the the fridge hackberry, from Lafayette,and it is also giving signs like the dead parent of going tropical - wahooooooooo!!!!
Laters
Khaimraj

Listening to this presently -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZogEF85A98
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:
Just repotted a yard grown Fukien tea, and courtesy the termites, now has a hollow heart, do I fill or do I leave as is, only The Shadow knows................
Laters
Khaimraj

Listening to this presently -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZogEF85A98

As I have a Tea, I'd really like to see a picture of yours and it's hollow spot.
Your YouTube doesn't work. Well, at least not here in the states.

Thanks,
Joe
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:59 pm

That's odd Joe,

it's a general direction to Youtube and I pressed on your quote to me, it went to the spot.
[THE BEST POP HITS OF 80's (Vol. 3)/ΟΙ ΜΕΓΑΛΥΤΕΡΕΣ POP ΕΠΙΤΥΧΙΕΣ ]

Will see about getting an image for you.
Laters.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:18 am

I guess you've all heard that it's a record cold storm through much of the USA.

This is not the coldest winter I've seen, but it's the longest cold winter I've seen so far.  The wind was blowing 35-50 mph last night.   The high today was 8 degrees F. The low is predicted to be minus 7 F.

I'm hoping to keep my junipers and trident maples alive.  

My tropicals (ficus)  are doing better than I expected.

Wish me some luck.  I can use it.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:49 am

Well it is 66 deg.F [ 18.9 deg.C] and I am at the louvres up and curtains drain stage - chuckle.
Hoping for 60 deg.F [ 15.5 deg.C ], normally as we cross over into February, we start to warm back up.
Nothing is growing, but the there are buds a lightening on the J.B.pines.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Record cold temps? - Page 2 Empty OH F . . . . . iddle Faddle!

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Only an official 1.5 inches (but that's 2 inches too much for me, IMHO) but it's 18 degrees (F) here at 9 a.m. and unlikely to thaw today. S. . . . HOOT.

Record cold temps? - Page 2 14_sno10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:56 pm

The sleet started coming down yesterday morning and didn't stop until late last night.  I never saw the first snowflake, but at 9:40 am we have warmed to 22 degrees F. It looks like it has snowed... but it's a solid layer of ice.  Mobile, Alabama is totally shut down as we have no way to deal with this mess.  If we are lucky we'll break freezing today, then back to the low 20s again tonight... so all of that mess will refreeze. Yeah!  Oh, and we will be back to 70 degrees this weekend!

Record cold temps? - Page 2 2014-010

Record cold temps? - Page 2 2014-011

Going to be a long couple of days!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 am

JimLewis wrote:Only an official 1.5 inches (but that's 2 inches too much for me, IMHO) but it's 18 degrees (F) here at 9 a.m. and unlikely to thaw today.   S. . . . HOOT.

Record cold temps? - Page 2 14_sno10

So how about that rather large outdoor podocarpus you were concerned about? Has it survived?

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:40 pm

It's still green -- but a bit pale (as I would be if forced to be out there). I may have lost it (and others) last night, though. The temperatures dropped to a surprising -- and UN-forcasted -- 9 degrees F, so nothing got brought inside. Bummer!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:14 am

JimLewis wrote:It's still green  -- but a bit pale (as I would be if forced to be out there).  I may have lost it (and others) last night, though.  The temperatures dropped to a surprising -- and UN-forcasted -- 9 degrees F, so nothing got brought inside.  Bummer!

Was 7 degress this morning in the center of the state, and it was forecaster, so buck spent the evening on the kitchen bar. He'll go back out to the garage tomorrow evening.
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 pm

JimLewis wrote:It's still green  -- but a bit pale (as I would be if forced to be out there).  I may have lost it (and others) last night, though.  The temperatures dropped to a surprising -- and UN-forcasted -- 9 degrees F, so nothing got brought inside.  Bummer!

I know the feeling. I can't stand what this immoderate weather is doing to my (outdoor) trees. My tropical trees are doing OK, but even my junipers are taking a beating.

I'm still looking for a source for tamaracks/ Larches.

Regards.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2