Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glass for soil

4 posters

Go down

Glass for soil Empty Glass for soil

Post  chadley999 Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:48 am

I saw this on one of my favorite sites and was wondering if anyone else has considered using crushed glass in their soil?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Glass-Bottles-Recycled-to-colored-sands/

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Glass for soil Empty Re: Glass for soil

Post  John Lee Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:21 am

I haven't crushed my own, but I do occasionally use some crushed glass in some of my soil, particularly with smaller trees and also as a top dressing. I get mine at the local sand blasting supply house. It is not brightly colored, mostly greens and browns.
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Chadley999,

depends on the crushed glass. Did you check to see if it was releasing alkalis or alkalines into the water/soil?

I am presently testing some trees in marbles and compost. I was able to find unpitchable for hands, 10 mm marbles,
and thought it would be interesting to test the ball bearing idea.
So far the ixora is growing and the tamarind as well.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  John Lee Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 am

The amount of alkali released from glass is very nominal, if at all, under normal conditions, i.e., exposed to the elements. Most glass containers that once were used to contain food or medicine have already been treated to remove the alkali. I would not consider this a concern.
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:07 am

my first curiosity is 'why'?

there seems to be this quest to change what works well for the sake of it, and the common theme with all these experiments is that you never see a mature refined bonsai tree living a long balanced life in man made substrate (its usually just unrefined saplings) . In every country across the world look at the best bonsai trees, look at who is maintaining and improving them, look at the soil all these top trees are in - you'll find it is very similar in makeup. then look at the trees in all the experimental stuff...it says everything that needs saying

i have also seen first hand the poor results in soil with particles larger than 10mm - the soil stability is compromised, the tree knows it is not secure and often wastes energy growing more long roots at the bottom of the pot - this effects the top growth vigour and fills the pot with thick woody roots - completely the wrong type of root for efficient bonsai management. A pad of fine roots close to the trunk is the goal - well sieved particles up to 5mm, dust removed, just chose the actual ingredients to hold or not hold water depending on climate and species.

catatonic exchange capacity is the key to what soil ingredients you chose if you want decent healthy trees that virtually look after themselves - and making life easy is the key to maintaining a bonsai collection. Does glass have any capacity ?? ?? do people think getting a pot jammed with roots means their soil mix is good ?? ?? do they not think the tree has sent roots 3 or 4 ft in search of better soil conditions because what is in the pot is poor ? food for thought

regards

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 am

Very Interesting Marcus,

I was just testing a relatively inert material [ not broken glass ] and compost. To see how the air spaces and food from the compost would satisfy the tree. Never thought about the instability and possible long, non feeder roots.
Thank you.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down