Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chopping a Boab.

3 posters

Go down

Chopping a Boab. Empty Chopping a Boab.

Post  lennard Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:55 pm

The trunk of this Baobab is about 5cm wide.

The tree is about 4 years old grown from seed - it could have been bigger by know but I had to cut away a lot of rot in the base because my gardener watered the tree by accident during dormancy winter 2012. It recovered well and I decided to chop the tree today.

I prefer to chop the roots in winter and the trunk/branches in mid summer. Doing the chop work in summer the buds are already active and the chance of rot is very slim.

The trunk before the chop:

Chopping a Boab. Before12

The chop:

Chopping a Boab. After_10

After chopping it I decided to reduce the height of the trunk to the pink line. After chopping it again I used my knob cutters to work of the chop to the buds:

Chopping a Boab. Workin10

With Baobab the chops can be worked of to every bud because with the species the wounds heal from within - no cambium rolling over!

After working off the chop I treated it with flowers of sulfur and sealed it with a Japanese sealant. It is not necessary to seal wounds on Baobab - just want to see what is going to be the difference.

Here is a chop that I did 2 years ago - incredible how it healed:

Chopping a Boab. Wound10

Any comments or advice will be welcomed.

Lennard

Last edited by lennard on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Chopping a Boab. Empty Re: Chopping a Boab.

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:46 am

Dear Lennard

I cant believe your tree is only four years old from seed. Are you a magician ?

Its going to be a nice little fat tree. Were you inspired by the trees from the convention?

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Chopping a Boab. Empty Very good growth.

Post  lennard Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:

I cant believe your tree is only four years old from seed.  Are you a magician ?

Were you inspired by the trees from the convention?

Growing fast I believe it is a matter of using compost in the soil mix and mulching the trees. The Baobab is also grown in full sun on a paved area close to a very warm wall. Temperatures get so high there that you can not walk barefoot on the paved area in mid summer!

Strange enough, after the convention, my inspiration and drive is at a low - hope it will pick up in the new year!

I have chopped all my Baobab very low now - have to get the proportions right to make a believable Baobab form bonsai! This one will portray a younger Baobab tree.

Lennard

Last edited by lennard on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Lennard,
Nicely healing wounds. Good work.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down