Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge

5 posters

Go down

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge Empty Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge

Post  ericrobinson Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:45 am

I've previously chronicled the progression of 6 Taxus bushes into various stages of bonsai and pre-bonsai. They were collected in 2006 from a certain hedge row and featured in the following threads:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9070-progression-taxus-collected-from-a-hedge?highlight=hedge
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12193-progression-taxus-2-collected-from-a-hedge
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14146-progression-taxus-3-collected-from-a-hedge
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14151-progression-taxus-4-collected-from-a-hedge
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14152-progression-taxus-5-6-collected-from-a-hedge-combined-on-slab

The Taxus bushes featured in this thread were from a second hedge row and were collected in Spring of 2011.

There were 10 Taxus bushes in the hedge growing alongside a wheelchair ramp. They let me dig the bushes for free and I agreed to replant 2 gallon Boxwoods in their place. ( Boxwoods were on sale - cheap Smile   )

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 11091010

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 04021110

Large roots were cut off with a reciprocating saw. Clay soil removed by water jet. Main trunk/nebari areas range in diameter from 4 – 7 inches.

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 03281110

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 04011110

I potted the bushes into the smaller size plastic concrete mixing tubs. Drainage holes drilled in the bottom. The bushes were tied into the tubs and secured from blowing over by driving wooden stakes into the ground and tying the bushes to the stakes.

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 03281111

I allowed the bushes to grow freely through Spring 2013. I dug into the media and inspected the root zones and found the pots filled with fine roots. The bushes had many dormant buds lower on the trunks and branches. I knew from past experience that with the plants in a state of good vigor I would be able to cut some of the branches back in early spring before bud swell and see an explosion of growth lower on the bush. The cutback occurred spring of 2013. In the following posts, pictures will show the state of the new growth as of 9-1-13.

9 of 10 Taxus alive and thriving as of 9-1-13.

Some bushes will be ready for some initial styling next spring while others will need another year of top growth.

I’ll keep you all posted as individual bushes are trained and styled in the future.

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5112

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5410

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5323

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5324

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5325

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5326

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5327

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5411

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5412

Backyard setup:

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5413
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge Empty Re: Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge

Post  Lee Brindley Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 am

Well done. They should keep you busy. Keep us updated. Very Happy 
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge Empty Re: Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge

Post  yamasuri Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:54 am

For little work and few bucks you got great material. This puts you one step further. I love taxus. Way to go/ collect. Thanks for sharing.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Natureini Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:27 am

I think the trunk should be shortened initially.
Thanks for sharing! The nice collections !

Natureini

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:59 am

ericrobinson wrote:

Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge 100_5112
Could be a good material for raft?

Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down