Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

royal poinciana bonsai project

+6
jimenezl
Jkd2572
jamesregin
Nigel Parke
Khaimraj Seepersad
kauaibonsai
10 posters

Go down

royal poinciana bonsai project Empty royal poinciana bonsai project

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 am

royal poinciana (delonix regia)  are claimed by some to be the most beautiful of all flowering tropical trees.   several years back I was fortunate to be able to collect two old/stunted specimens from a landscape.  the trees were more than 25 years in the ground,  but grew no more than 3 feet tall.  both survived and have adapted to life in a bonsai training pot.  sharing some annotated pictures of work on one.

the right trunk is mostly dead. rot has started at the soil line and is working its way upwards.  royal poinciana bonsai project Dsc05210  the tree moved to a work table. this  is the back. dead trunk on the left royal poinciana bonsai project Dsc05438 the focus is on the deadwood..  the rot has to be stopped and the bulky trunk reduced .royal poinciana bonsai project Dsc05439  work proceeds in stages.  from rough cutting to something more refined.royal poinciana bonsai project Dsc05440.   a dusty while later.royal poinciana bonsai project Dsc05441.

at this point the  carved wood is wet and fibrous.  the plan is to allow the fresh wood an opportunity to thoroughly dry,  then treatment with wire brush, small bit detail work, sanding then application of wood stabilizer.

best wishes,   sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

royal poinciana bonsai project Empty Re: royal poinciana bonsai project

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am

Sam,

you may wish to graft branches on. I have only seen one decent attempt, but not good as design goes.
I wish you the best of luck.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Parke Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Sam,

Like you I also have a Ponciana in training however, unlike you, I was not as fortunate to find a tree with a good trunk, mine is being grown from seed. My tree is about 2 years old now. It is currently in a growing bed as I'm trying to add some girth to the trunk and develop branches. I'll post a pic to the thread when I get a chance...I also have a friend with a few that I'll try to take some photos of and post as well. The more examples we have then hopefully it will spread the knowledge on the species as bonsai subjects.

All the best with this tree, please continue to share its progress ThumbsUp 

Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm

thanks khaimarj and nigel.

the tree actually has a nice selection of branches and many new small shoots emerging in favorable locations for canopy development, so grafting (which I never thought of) is unnecessary. am experimenting with pruning to see if foliage size can be reduced. will start on the second tree soon. will post pictures.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:54 pm

This specie has very very soft wood, no matter what you do to the deadwood pale pale 
I think it's going to rot. I hope I'm wrong however.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:56 pm

thanks. time will tell

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 pm

These are my most favorite trees in nature. I always love to see them when vacationing in the carrabean. I just got back from Jamaica where I got to see about 3 different colors of blooms. I have always wanted to have one as a bonsai. My question is has anyone ever had one bloom in a pot?

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 am

Jkd2572,

yes, they do bloom. A gentleman in my neighbourhood, had a red type in flower, but that was about 1988 or so. No pictures to show.
Not an easy tree to work with, as branches tend to die back to more or less 3 at any time, though, there will be many buds. The roots are amazing, as they lift, but once again this is not an easy tree to work with.
Maybe someone elsewhere has figured out how to do?
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 am

the second poinciana.  work pending.

best wishes,   sam
royal poinciana bonsai project Dsc05510

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jimenezl Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello Sam,
Nice trees, with great potential.  I also love the 'Flamboyan', as they call it in Puerto Rico.  Here's my 2-year old grown from seed in Maryland, USA (zone 7)
Cheers,
Luis
royal poinciana bonsai project Royal_11

jimenezl

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 am

thanks for sharing

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:56 am

I'm really beginning to have a grudging respect for the negative comments posted up by many members here about the Royal Poinciana/Flamboyan' (Delonix regia) tree, as a candidate for Bonsai.    Admittedly, the blossoms on these things are almost irresistable.  Unfortunately, those compound leaves are HUGE and they seem to drop branches quicker than the proverbial 'blink of an eye'!  But, at least in my own experience, they seem pretty difficult to kill.  And hey, what tree collection doesn't have some (ridiculous?) things in it that are hugely challenging to develop? Embarassed 
Not having access to in-ground, more mature landscaping material to collect - here is a picture of what we usually get up north, with seed-raised specimens to start with.  Both of these trees are now both over 3 years old, with not a branch in sight!  The different pots are an attempt to try different growing techniques to see how they respond.

royal poinciana bonsai project Rlvpee

So......  frustration will inevitably rear it's less than patient head in these trying circumstances.  In desperation to hopefully get SOMETHING out of these obstinate trees, a forest/group planting was just started this summer.  The 5 trees in this group were all defoliated during the process.  Plus, they have been started out initially, in a deeper training pot.  When the trees get their root mass established better, I will transplant the group into a more proper, shallow oval pot.

royal poinciana bonsai project Nlbfpu

Those 2 you're working with are some really nice, collected trees you've got Sam.  Best of luck developing them, and please keep us posted on how they develop over time. Smile
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:53 am

thanks, I will

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

royal poinciana bonsai project Empty Will it ever make branches?

Post  odumetz Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Also pretty high up north - this little guy is now over 2 years old, and still waiting for the first branch to appear...
Any tips on how to get that to happen?

royal poinciana bonsai project Flambo11

odumetz

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 am

See here-

http://cafedepuertorico.com/Flamboyant_Bonsai.html

The last image is photo manipulated, but I wish it was possible.
Khaimraj

* By the way, try for only 6 branches, but work on the roots, as the Flamboyant ages, the roots lift out of the ground and are really impressive.

Try also a - Pride of Barbados -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesalpinia_pulcherrima

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Caesalpinia_pulcherrima_0005.jpg
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:41 am

Sam,

Royal poinciana has a history as bonsai in Puerto Rico of more than fifty years. The two oldest specimens are owned by Pedro Morales and were started by two Puertorican bonsai pioneers; Mr. Adán Montalvo and Mr. Hugo Storer. Go to his page to see them. They both bloom.

Dead wood rots quickly, even with treatment. Don't be discouraged. They heal beautifully and hollows will close up in no time.

Take care,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 am

thanks jose, nice to hear from you. several years ago a friend in honolulu had a nice one in full bloom. someday I trust mine will bloom, too.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  marvinf Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:59 pm

I have attempted two plants and they are both over ten years old. The oldest was placed in a small container from seed and it never branched. The second was placed in a gallon pot and branched within the second year. Both have never bloomed I am assuming that the plant needs to be greater than 24" in order to support blooms.

marvinf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down