Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble

5 posters

Go down

Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble Empty Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble

Post  Alan33140 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 am

Hi, i am new to the forum & to bonsai so appreciate all the expertise here.
My escambron, a small 6" coolected specimen I bought here (south FL) in the spring was thriving for a few months but rather suddenly has yellowing leaves.
I dont think it's over/underwatering.  Should i check the roots & possibly repot?
Other tips?
Thanks!

Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble Jun12

Last edited by Alan33140 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan33140

Back to top Go down

Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble Empty Re: Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Alan,

it helps if you can send an image.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble Empty image

Post  Alan33140 Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 pm

thanks -- took me a few tries to get that to work but now there is a img in the OP

Alan33140

Back to top Go down

Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble Empty Re: Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I would not repot. The tree may still be struggling from collection. Pale leaves are sometimes a sign of a nutrient deficiency, so I suggest a dose of some houseplant fertilizer. Here is soe care information:

http://www.mybonsaibuddy.com/Escambron_%28clerodendrum_aculeatum%29_Plant,Bonsai_Care.html
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:54 am

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the pale leaves on your Escambron.  The pale leaves on your tree just look 'tired' to me, and are ready to fall off and be replaced by more.

Here is a picture of one of mine I took today, and as you can see it has a few pale leaves on it as well,
Escambron (Clerodendron aculeatum) trouble E7ys1x

They love full sun, and will grow like crazy when placed outside.  I had to put sphagnum moss on mine as a top coat to help retain moisture in the soil.  They can be some thirsty little devils, and it's tough to keep up with watering chores when they're really moving. Neutral
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:38 am

Alan,

Repot. Yellowing leaves on a clerodendron are a sign if the tree being pot bound. Also, they like a sandy mix. Too much organic soil usually leads to entirely too much water retention and yellowing leaves.

Being a vine/like species, it will bounce back quickly.

This tree isn't recently collected, perhaps a year or two.

Regards,

Jose
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down