Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stone Monkey Ceramics Collector's Pot 2009

+12
Robert Wallace
Kev Bailey
Dale Cochoy
john pitt
Jeremy
bonsai monkey
landerloos
peter krebs
Russell Coker
Dave Martin
Harleyrider
Stone Monkey
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stone Monkey Ceramics Collector's Pot 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: Stone Monkey Ceramics Collector's Pot 2009

Post  pjkatich Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:08 am

Andy,

Please accept my compliments, your new collectors pot is a winner. Great attention to detail and I liked your explanation of the changing colors.

Was the red blush intentional or a result of the firing?

Is this a porcelain or white stoneware clay body?

Great work.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Stone Monkey Ceramics Collector's Pot 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: Stone Monkey Ceramics Collector's Pot 2009

Post  Stone Monkey Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:44 am

Paul

The red blush was intentional but hard to get right in the gas kiln and on the right places on the pot, lots of trial and error Crying or Very sad
The clay body is a grogged white stoneware body a bit like T Material

Thanks for your kind words

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 am

Bidding has started here at www.stonemonkeyceramics.co.uk/specials.asp

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 am

Hi Andy,

It is really exciting watch your auction.
I think in the end it is again quite exciting because the beautiful pot is much, much more valuable.

(This pot is indistinguishable from an ancient Chinese pot,a masterpiece)

regards
Peter
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:01 am

Peter

Thankyou for your kind words and support. Its comments like this from great ceramic artists like yourself that push me on and give purpose to what I love and adore doing cheers

Kind regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:56 pm

I checked out your pot on your website too. It is truly a work of art. The subtle variations in the color of its sides makes it even more unique, helping to show its own personality. cheers

Perhaps one day I could learn about the type of gas kiln you use? I am currently sizing up different ones and I am interested in learning which type bonsai potters use Question

Thanks Andy.
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:54 am

Hi Rob

Thanks for the comments. It means alot to hear constructive comments from other potters about your work.

I currently use a 9 cubic front loading down draft gas kiln. Down draft means that the heat from the flames fill the kiln from top to bottom and then escape via a slot low down in the chimney which means the kiln will hold as much heat as possible before it leave via the chimney.

At the time I got my kiln I sort of jumped in feet first and got a front loader, if I was to get another, which I plan to do but it will cost me £5000, I would get a wide circular, oval or rectangular top loader. This would enable us Bonsai Potters to make and fire shallow wide containers which is what we want. At present I am limited to making pots about 20" x 17" which is still a bit pot, but it limits you to a certain extent. bounce

The other thing you will need to get your head round is glaze recipies and they will react diferently in a reduction atmosphere as they do in an oxidized one. Copper based glazed for example, red in reduction and greeny to black in oxidized. You will have fun with that one and you will get some good reandom effects to. That's the joy of gas fired kiln they can be a little unpredicatble which has is good and bad points Twisted Evil

Good luck with getting your kiln and I will wait with baited breath to see your first firing affraid I enjoy reading your blog too!

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:16 am

Thanks Andy!

I am looking at a gas conversion kit for my small electric. This will enable me to try out firing in reduction and see where it takes me. I get a lot in inspiration looking at the pottery here (lovely colors and stains/washes) and I want to get my feet wet with some small pieces first. But that will leave me in a bit of a predicament. I would then need a new bisque kiln. Rolling Eyes

So now I am saving up for a large electric. I am considering a 28" circular or an oval sized kiln. Right now I am leaning toward a circular shape because I am concerned about the oval size having too much temperature variation. I know there is a brand here in the states that makes a VERY LARGE oval electric with a 3 zone control thermocouple, but it remains a bit too big and expensive. Have you heard of anything like that happening (temp. variation) with the gas model oval you are contemplating? I was just wondering, because I have a feeling that an oval or circular is not going to give you as good circulation (convection) as what you have now.

Ah kilnage ...Rolling Eyes
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:35 am

Rob

Why would you need a new bisque kiln? I bisque fire in my gas kiln no problem Very Happy

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:37 am

Andy,

I believe its still a bit cheaper to use an electric than propane here in my neck of the woods....

If you get around to it perhaps you could PM me a link with the gas oval kiln you are interested in?

Thanks,
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Rob

I will dig out some info and send it to you Question

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Stone Monkey Ceramics Collector's Pot 2009 - Page 2 Empty Not Long to Go...

Post  Stone Monkey Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 am

Bidding ends at midnight GMT on 31.10.09 Crying or Very sad

Currently the "Tao of Bamboo" will be on its way to Spain when the auction is over Very Happy

Kind regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:20 pm

Only a few hours to go before the auction ends at midnight GMT Twisted Evil

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:29 am

Bidding is over and I am pleased to announce that this years collectors pot will reside in the UK cheers

Thanks so much for your bids and all your interest

Kindest regards

Andy Very Happy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:26 am

Congrats to the winner!!! thumbs up

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks Irene Very Happy

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2