Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location, what is the problem?

+3
JimLewis
Khaimraj Seepersad
Andre Beaurain
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Location, what is the problem? Empty Location, what is the problem?

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 am

Is it just me, or do other members also have a problem with the IBC members locations.

For me its so Amazing this internet thing, for the first time in our lives we can be members of a club that extend all over the world!! All races, all colours, all tastes, all different traditions... That, to me, is really mind blowing, We are all living in the age of Star Trek, alien well for everyone born before the 80's, that is, before computers.

The first thing I always look for when reading a post is the location of the Poster. I love to know where members come form, and of course it help to know their weather patterns. More than 90% of the time I first have to google LA or VA or Pa or Am NW of PAC land down under, land in bush, land on top of bush, bush aqround the corner of KNG Vil Gm. CA NY .....and so it goes on.

Are you guys ashamed of where you are form?

I mean if I just stated my location: Swartland. who the hell will know where that is, not even my fellow countrymen in Gauteng will know where that is!!

So why do most members just assume that everyone knows all the abbreviations of all the towns in the 52 states of America for instance?

If you state that your loacation is CA, I guess that you are a Baka pygmy from Camaroon......hihihihihihihihihihihihihihii

If you state that your location is Pacific NW, then I gather that you are floating around, in a lifeboat, on the Pacific ocean,with a tiger named Richard Parker, and your name is PI Patel Laughing Laughing Laughing

that wont help your Bonsai at all!! Laughing Laughing

Please guys , fill in your complete Avatar, there is a reason why the moderators ask you all that questions.
The same thing with age, if dont fill in your age, I now know, that you are 12.

Sorry for this, but I had to get it of my chest.

Love and light
Andre
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Location, what is the problem? Empty Re: Location, what is the problem?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue May 14, 2013 10:35 am

Andre',

even with the West Indies part put in, I was stated in a post as living in Western India Laughing

So if you are also confused - Caribbean / Trinidad, of Trinidad and Tobago [ pronounced - Toe bay go - and not Tobacco ]
and it is Kuh rib be anne not Carrie be anne [ uggh so coarse ] Laughing

Plus, if you posted me a letter, it has to state W.I. or it would not reach.

And we are not a place in Brazil, Guyana or Venezuela. Laughing

Fortunately for us at A'level education with Geography, the abbreviations for US states is required knowing, as we do have a test paper on North America. Two years of study - yummy.
Later.
Khaimraj [ also pronounced - came raj or kim raj ]
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue May 14, 2013 12:20 pm

....you dont live in India???
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

that was very funny.

...I mean ,you were, not the sentence that I just wrote.... well of course that goes without saying....that I'm hysterically funny. Laughing

I also just Assumed that everyone read 'The life of Pi'... Yes can you believe it, took me a year.. the downfall of a lower grade education hihihihi Laughing and No the Movie doesn't come close...they don't even have turtles in it. Cool

Love and light

Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue May 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Please see:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t785-profiles-and-their-value

and

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t10024-getting-the-best-from-your-forum-part-one-how-the-system-works

Profile information is very helpful to those of us who try to help with advice. We don't need your street address, or even the town you live in, so you don't need to worry about privacy (any more than you always worry on the internet).

Another option is to create a signature that will appear at the end of every message you post. It too can have your general location in in.

Thanks all, and thanks Andre, for reminding people.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue May 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Andre',

you are amazing!
The life of Pi, I lasted 10 minutes into the movie. Too depressing.

I am a - problem ? -- let's find a solution or just dream one up - kinda guy.

Think you have a great sense of humour, I hope it's not a case of laughing on the outside, and crying on the inside.
In case you didn't know my vocation is Fine Artist [ think Da Vinci / Raphael / Titian / Rossetti ] Traditionally trained in Florence Italy, and people fascinate me.
My avatar is my floor in my self built house on a hill overlooking our eastern seaside. Almost 70 m up in the air, and the breeze is cold all year around.

When I was in school one of my good friend's was an Andre'. An extremely mischievous character.
Later will be greater.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Andre, this hacks me off too! What's the big mystery, and how are we supposed to help when we have no idea where in this great big world someone is located????

The other one that blows my mind is people who can't seem to figure out where to post their threads. The main bonsai forum seems to be a catch all for nearly everything and the mods are always moving something. Really? Is it really that difficult to ask your question in "Questions" or make your announcement in "Announcements"????

Oh well...
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue May 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Well, we gotta have something to do . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 am

In general I agree with your rant Andre, tho sometimes it can pay to be vague, all too often we humans draw false conclusions from simple things...Would you guess from my age I have been growing little trees for almost 30yrs?

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 am

Matt,

now you have my curiosity. Do you have your first two or three trees still ?
What do they look like?
I wanted to do a thread on first trees and if folk still had them.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed May 15, 2013 2:00 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Matt,
I wanted to do a thread on first trees and if folk still had them.
Later.
Khaimraj

You should - it could be interesting (if people participate). I have mine, but it's only 3 years old...so that's not a great accomplishment.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 15, 2013 8:35 am

Khaimraj,
Like Coh I think its a great idea, you may be surprised by the response. I have only one of my first trees, it isnt much to look at after this long, something to do with 20 odd yrs in a pot & expectations beyond the materials capacity to achieve (with my knowledge at the time). With a few years in the ground it is finally starting to get somewhere, maybe by the time it celebrates its 50th it will be a bonsai.
Location, what is the problem? 100_5810
Instead of 18" I am now heading for a more suitable 48"... Having said all that I have in recent years worked out how to play with this species & now have one @ 35cm tall & another that I am planning to keep under 20cm...

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed May 15, 2013 9:36 am

Dorothy started a "my first tree" a year or so ago. HERE
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed May 15, 2013 9:50 am

Much thanks Fiona,

wow hardly any participation image wise from a group of this size. Sad. I had expected to see the older members showing amazing growth and design.
Well I won't waste my time with that effort.

Matt,

thanks for showing. It is appreciated. I don't know how your ideas, philosophies changed over time, or the approach to trunks, masses and so on, for me I became more laid back and today, just leave the efforts to age.

Chris,
just to say thank you.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed May 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Oh! Let's add to Andre's rant people who forget about our Search function and hijack threads about an entirely unrelated subject!!!!

First trees is such an obvious subject you could have searched for it (on almost ANY bonsai discussion board).

And don't talk to Fiona about people who simply cannot figure out how to post pictures here. It AIN'T rocket science.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed May 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Jim,

if I were doing - Do you still have your first tree ? --

I would be asking for the older heads in Bonsai to show - so I would be looking for trees at over 20 years.
Additionally, I would be asking for soil mix, growing conditions and all the horticultural information.
Design would not be important.

The idea would be for the young to Bonsai to get a chance to see what works as opposed to what is being tested.

Experience would be most important.
I would imagine that you would be highly visible.

Hope that helps.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed May 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Andre',

you are amazing!

.....and you are too kind, but keep it coming...

The life of Pi, I lasted 10 minutes into the movie. Too depressing.

I KNOW, Zoo's are soo depressing!

I am a - problem ? -- let's find a solution or just dream one up - kinda guy.

Think you have a great sense of humour, I hope it's not a case of laughing on the outside, and crying on the inside.

I only cry on the inside, when I'm confronted with bad taste....which is too often hihihihihhihii

In case you didn't know my vocation is Fine Artist [ think Da Vinci / Raphael / Titian / Rossetti ] Traditionally trained in Florence Italy, and people fascinate me.

You are so blessed, Italy, really? Yes you told me this before, when I asked you about where did you learn to look at negative spaces. I aslo studied Art before Horticulture, but dont worry I'm not really that clever, its all smoke and mirrors. Laughing

My avatar is my floor in my self built house on a hill overlooking our eastern seaside. Almost 70 m up in the air, and the breeze is cold all year around.

What?, just hold it, your Avatar is your FLOOR??, get out!! Is it a mosaic?

When I was in school one of my good friend's was an Andre'. An extremely mischievous character. When I was seven, my Dad gave us a lecture about being Mischievous, 'there are 5 sins you commit when you are being mishievous'. he said. I still can't harm anything, without seeing Lucifer lurking in the corner somewhere
Later will be greater.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj you are killing me, did you see what Jim just wrote about Hijacking threads?? Laughing Laughing
I've got an Idea, lets revive Dorothy's thread about 'My first bonsai' I'll start.

Love and light my friend
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed May 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Andre',

briefly, the floor is done as terrazzo, just with colour.

Secondly, I don't believe that there would be any interest in the topic. Perhaps it would be better to just leave it alone.

This isn't a hijack Andre', this is how you make friends, and as friends, the desire to help is way stronger. Friends would go that extra mile. As an example a friend recently sent me a personally used bonsai pot, memories, and earlier on sent me a copy of Wu Yee Sun's book.
To take revenge I sent a Gmelina, via Amazon - hee hee hee.
Take care.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed May 15, 2013 4:48 pm

MattA wrote:In general I agree with your rant Andre, tho sometimes it can pay to be vague, all too often we humans draw false conclusions from simple things...Would you guess from my age I have been growing little trees for almost 30yrs?

Good Lord...you stared Bonsai when you were 8 ? Thats amazing

When I was 8, I experimented with cross dressing. Razz Razz
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed May 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

Hi Andre, this hacks me off too! What's the big mystery, and how are we supposed to help when we have no idea where in this great big world someone is located????

The other one that blows my mind is people who can't seem to figure out where to post their threads. The main bonsai forum seems to be a catch all for nearly everything and the mods are always moving something. Really? Is it really that difficult to ask your question in "Questions" or make your announcement in "Announcements"????

Yes Russell this also freaks me out, then you just started reading something, and oops Fiona wisks it away... Laughing

Oh well...
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed May 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Andre',

briefly, the floor is done as terrazzo, just with colour.

Just hang on, this is getting more interesting, terazzo? now you definately have to say more...please!

Secondly, I don't believe that there would be any interest in the topic. Perhaps it would be better to just leave it alone. o shiiit to late for that

This isn't a hijack Andre', this is how you make friends, and as friends, the desire to help is way stronger. Friends would go that extra mile. Ouch As an example a friend recently sent me a personally used bonsai pot, memories, and earlier on sent me a copy of Wu Yee Sun's book.
To take revenge I sent a Gmelina, via Amazon - hee hee hee. Feel free to avenge me.
Take care.
Khaimraj

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed May 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:
Yes Russell this also freaks me out, then you just started reading something, and oops Fiona wisks it away... Laughing

Oh well...

Oh-kay. *Takes deep breath to calm down* Let's look at the last few days alone:

FOUR requests from people who can't remember their passwords and/or username.
ONE request (rudely worded) from someone complaining they havent got forum access despite the problem being that they just didn't read the confirmation email telling them to click the link. And that after letting it lie for nearly five months. Clearly my fault of course.
TWO topics moved to their correct places
ONE question post hived off and moved to its own thread because the poster had added it, of all places, to a sticky in Progressions.

And as Jim says, don't start me on picture posting. It's not as if the Welcome email mentions the tutorial or anything. Or asks them to state their location. Mad Rolling Eyes

Anyway. The amount I get paid for doing this stuff, why am I complaining.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed May 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Wow, you just can't make stuff up like this, can you????

Maybe there should be some kind of quick test in the registration process. If you can't score higher than "dumber than a box of rocks" you can't join.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Jim,

if I were doing - Do you still have your first tree ? --

I would be asking for the older heads in Bonsai to show - so I would be looking for trees at over 20 years.
Additionally, I would be asking for soil mix, growing conditions and all the horticultural information.
Design would not be important.

The idea would be for the young to Bonsai to get a chance to see what works as opposed to what is being tested.

Experience would be most important.
I would imagine that you would be highly visible.

Hope that helps.
Khaimraj

Actually, it does NOT help, because you are STILL hijacking this poor guy's thread.

This isn't a hijack Andre', this is how you make friends,

Damndest way to make a friend I've ever seen.

and I TOLD you guys not to get Fiona involved!

(And, just in case everyone -- or anyone -- wondered, I could offer up a similar list of experiences. As, I am sure, could Kev and John.)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed May 15, 2013 8:47 pm

fiona wrote:
Anyway. The amount I get paid for doing this stuff, why am I complaining.

Exactly! It's not like you're doing it for free Smile
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Oh . . . almost forgot. Fiona (We) seldom "whisks" anything "AWAY." When we move a message from Forum A to Forum B, we leave a note in FORUM A under that title and an automatic redirect that puts you into Forum B and reading the message that was wrongly put in Forum A. It's almost seamless. (Unless, I suppose, you have some so-called security software that rejects ALL redirects.)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next