Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyonia lucida (AKA fetterbush)

2 posters

Go down

Lyonia lucida (AKA fetterbush) Empty Lyonia lucida (AKA fetterbush)

Post  JimLewis Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 pm

This is Lyonia lucida, a native of the SE USA lowlands (Southern Virginia to Eastern Lousiana), one of several shrubs/trees (many of them unrelated) called Fetterbush. It grows in low, wet areas, but not in standing water. I dug this one from the swampy woods on my farm in Tallahassee in 2000.

Dirr (Manual of Woody Landscape Plants) says it doesn't hold up well under stress, but this one has been happy in bonsai pots since 2001. I know of no one else who has one as bonsai.

It is blooming now. L. lucida is a member of the Heath family, along with blueberries, and as you can see the flowers are much like blueberry flowers. Fruits are dry seeds. They MUST have acid soil.

Lyonia lucida (AKA fetterbush) 5-13_b10

Lyonia lucida (AKA fetterbush) Flowe010\

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Lyonia lucida (AKA fetterbush) Empty Re: Lyonia lucida (AKA fetterbush)

Post  gman Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 am

Interesting specimen Jim, have the leaves reduced under bonsai culture.... love the flower pods, very much like blueberries.
Cheers
Graham
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks. It has been so long since I've seen one growing wild in the swamps that I'm not sure I recall its normal leaf size. I think they've reduced a bit, though.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down