Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pemphis repotted

5 posters

Go down

pemphis repotted  Empty pemphis repotted

Post  john5555leonard Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:31 am

i got too excited about buying a new pot for the pemphis i forgot that i lived in thailand Smile i could not get a quality pot that was right for the tree without going down to bangkok, but i did get a suitable concrete pot that i feel works for the tree, its a 60cm round pot and the windows help to give the impression that its smaller. it will serve its purpose in keeping the roots compact then when i can get a good pot easy to change . the roots were trimmed all around the edge and no major roots had to be cut. after the repot i put the tree in shade for 2 weeks and misted often . the tree sulked for the first week and shed quite a few leaves, mainly on the right hand side,more roots had been cut on the right to get it in the pot . after a week i misted with seawater every 2 days then sprayed with seawater and guano fertilizer mixed . the tree is looking stronger now and new growth has started and the tree has been moved to get the morning and evening sun . the tree was tilted up slightly as per roberts and jun idea, the apex has been cut back and now needs regrowing, a small lower central branch has been removed to open the trunk line. when the tree is strong i will re do the carving, but i cannot decide about roberts idea about removing the left branch which is the strongest part of the tree . if someone could do a virtual i would be gratefull. [img]pemphis repotted  Pemphi12[/img]

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

pemphis repotted  Empty virt

Post  lennard Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Maybe something like this?

pemphis repotted  Pemphi10

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm

thanks lennard, i like what you,v done with the apex, removing the small branch, and taking off a little of the deadwood on the right, but i do not want to remove the deadwood on the left, could you do another just removing the left branch. i think roberts and juns idea is to have all the branches moving to the right, so do not bring the small branch over to the left because thats just replacing what is being removed , if you get what i mean. thank you . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

pemphis repotted  Empty Virt 2

Post  lennard Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm

john5555leonard wrote:thanks lennard, i like what you,v done with the apex, removing the small branch, and taking off a little of the deadwood on the right, but i do not want to remove the deadwood on the left, could you do another just removing the left branch. i think roberts and juns idea is to have all the branches moving to the right, so do not bring the small branch over to the left because thats just replacing what is being removed , if you get what i mean. thank you . regards john

Like this:

pemphis repotted  Pemphi11

?

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 am

yes , thank you so much . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

pemphis repotted  Empty Re: pemphis repotted

Post  Robert Steven Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:48 am

I like the last one...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:24 am

thanks robert , looks like i will be taking off that branch , but being from yorkshire and we are famous for not wasting anything i will airlayer the branch and get another tree out of it first . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi John,

Not sure if it's just me, but I find that deadwood overpowering. Have you thought about carving it down or adding some hollows to lighten it visually. As a good Yorkshireman you could always keep the shavings for some other purpose (can't think of one right now!

Here's a virt where I've rotated the tree a bit, dropped the right hand branch, lightened up the deadwood and nipped out that annoying little leaf on the bottom right branch! cheers

Andrew

pemphis repotted  Penphi10

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 pm

mmm, maybe, but i,d have to think what i could do with the wood shavings first lol . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Andrew Legg wrote:Hi John,

Not sure if it's just me, but I find that deadwood overpowering. Have you thought about carving it down or adding some hollows to lighten it visually. As a good Yorkshireman you could always keep the shavings for some other purpose (can't think of one right now!

Here's a virt where I've rotated the tree a bit, dropped the right hand branch, lightened up the deadwood and nipped out that annoying little leaf on the bottom right branch! cheers

Andrew

pemphis repotted  Penphi10

I agree. sunny
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 am

yes you are right, i think i,v lived in thailand too long, they love these long jins here, if they have,nt got one they stick one on . where,s marcus he,s pretty good with designing jins andrew there are lots of annoying little leaves all over it , but i am just happy it survived the repot i,ll trim it all later. lol Smile btw just to prove what what robert says about them being tricky with the roots , that large root/vein on the left has gradually died back on the top because 2 yrs ago i nicked the vein further up the tree with the makita, luckily it,s still alive underneath and has produced new roots closer to the trunk, it would look better if it could be removed at sometime in the future. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 am

Hi John.

I'll present another idea later. Just too busy to sketch lately.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am

John,

this tree seems to be heading into a Semi-Cascade style.
BUT when I look at it, I really want to create a full canopy, with layers and negative space.

http://www.bonsaiinformation.com/DSCN1808%20Pemphis%20Acidula%20Singapore%20CG.jpg

and create a very few, very large surface roots.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi John,

How about something to lessen down the stiff appearance and very solid/regid design, maybe something like this.

pemphis repotted  Dsc_1410

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 am

hi jun , i really like that idea and it would mean that i keep that strong left branch, when i first bought the tree i always intended to go that way, but could not quite figure out how to achieve it . the problem i have with your drawings is that i cannot see exactly which branches you are using to get the result , can anybody do a virtual from juns design please . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:48 am

hi khaimraj , it does have some large surface roots they were just not visible mg] i thought i,d post a side view also pemphis repotted  Pemphi10[/img][img]pemphis repotted  Pemphi11[/img]

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:51 am

John,

a simple option.

To get to Jun's effort, simply place a stone or stick or other at the triangle zone.

The 1,2,3,4 would be the roots you chose for expanding, as well as a few other's going around the trunk.

The shaded area is to expand, and the negative spaces are marked.

The idea is less the hedge cut and go to a fuller shape.
Just suggestions.
Khaimraj

pemphis repotted  John_p10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:59 am

John,
You have more than enough branches to choose from to form the design. but you have to grow them thick first. Same thing for the extended jins in the drawing, just let the branches grow in the direction as suggested and use them as jin in the future.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:02 am

hi khaimraj, well i,m totally confused now , your design is basically what i,v got already but with a more expanded canopy and totally opposite to juns , which from what i can make out from his sketch is doing away with the whole right side . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:31 am

John,

I gave you a simple option, and to get to Jun's stage, simply elevate your stump to an upright position.

You can elevate slowly, working on your roots, and make up your mind growing to what you want.
I am sensing you need time to get to know your pemphis.

My pemphis is just about pencil thick, and in a larger pot, so the branches are extending.Next stage is trough growing to get a 3" [ 8cm ] trunk and then onto branches.
Lots of airlayers, or cuttings, to take away the rarity factor and at some point with more research I should understand the tree.

I will also send a few trees to a friend on our seashores, to let the winds do their job.
Our soils are heavier on the seashore, and it should be interesting to see if there is any real difference.
I will also send the trees in large versions of the colander containers, to make later removal easy.

Perhaps, you need to also understand what you are growing?
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down