Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles

3 posters

Go down

Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles Empty Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles

Post  Clever Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 pm

I got this great juniper pre-bonsai today. It's a decent size, the pot that its in is 10" diameter. I'm trying to decide on a front and how to style it and figure I would post it here for suggestions. At the moment I like the first image and the 3rd on down in the right column.

Any input is welcome!!

Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles Junipe10
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles Empty Re: Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Looks like a good tree to work on. Using the first photo (the individual pics are too small for my talents with virtuals), the tree is too tall. I'd shorten it by 1/3, then remove the lowest branches.

The lack of taper may be your largest problem. I can't see if there is a candidate branch for a new top.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles Empty Newly acquired Juniper

Post  bonsaisr Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I respectfully disagree. I would NOT remove the lowest branches at this point. No We need a third opinion.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles Empty Re: Newly acquired juniper suggestion for front and styles

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:11 pm

The lowest branches are nothing but twigs. They provide nothing to the tree and their use as sacrifice branches is negligible, as far as I can see. But it won't hurt to keep them there; just makes it a bit more difficult to see a design for the tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Clever Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:12 am

Thanks for the input.

Jim - not that I'm opposed to it but if I cut the top third of the tree there really isn't a suitable candidate left for a leader and no canopy would be remaining. I was considering leaning the tree a considerable amount to the right and removing some of the lower branches.

Iris- I agree the more advice the better!

Thanks
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down