Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun>

4 posters

Go down

repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun> Empty repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun>

Post  john5555leonard Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 am

those of you following juns thread on design faults know that robert advised me to repot my pemphis , so today i started to carefully examine the roots . the existing pot is an 80cm by 70cm oval .the new pot is a 55cm round pot, of same depth . visually it looks perfect , but the old pot is full of fibrous root and some around the edge are pencil thickness . so i stopped . with any other tree i would have no hesitation of trimming that amount of root but you guys have warned me not to cut the roots on pemphis . do the math i have to trim off 25cm of root most of it on the right hand side . will the tree stand it . i would rather have a live pemphis in a large pot than a dead one in the correct size . the tree however does need a root prune and it needs lifting because it is too low in the pot . so guys what do i do . regards john [img]repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun> Pemphi11[/img]

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun> Empty Re: repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun>

Post  Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 am

Hi John. Good thing you didn't cut anything specially the thick roots around the pot. otherwise it would be to risky. Phempis root is also brittle. It is easy to solve, You got to adjust your design in the process, anyway you are still in the initial design stage. If it won't fit in the pot you have, I think you'll be needing deeper pot for the semi cascade pot. That is my opinion, maybe we could wait for somebody else, maybe they have other solution, if not I'll give you some design option later.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun> Empty Re: repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun>

Post  Robert Steven Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:09 pm

One of the way is cutting the roots part by part, gradually one at a time. Without seeing in real, I can't give suggestion; however, as Jun says, it might be other design option in compromise with the root system.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 pm

i tried what Master Robert said that i have to cut the roots one by one. first, i peeled the roots which is near to the part to be cut off. i peeled almost 1/4 of it. then after 2 days, i cut it the roots one at a time. and i put my pemphis in a shaded area so it wont be very exposed to the sun. so far, i have no problem with my pemphis. i already cut 3 roots near the trunks that are as big as a pencil. but i hasn't been repoted yet. Smile

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Wait till the cutted root gives hair-roots before cutting the next one. When all the roots around have been cut and have hair-roots, then I think it' safe to be repotted. When do the repotting, prun the foliage... Good luck !
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm

what master robert adviced is safer but would take a long time. and make sure your pemphis is very healthy to do that. master robert advice is slowly but surely. Smile good luck.

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm

jong wrote:what master robert adviced is safer but would take a long time. and make sure your pemphis is very healthy to do that. master robert advice is slowly but surely. Smile good luck.

ThumbsUp

Nice to hear from you again Jong? Robert is coming on the 4th of April 'til the &7th. Hope you could come and meet him again.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun> Empty repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun>

Post  john5555leonard Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 pm

hi guys, jun the pot is deep its 20cm , most of the root is fibrous <hair roots> its only one or two longer roots that have started to run around the edge of the pot . is it ok to cut the fibrous root . at some point you have to be able to root prune a tree you cannot just keep letting the roots get bigger and bigger ?? this tree grows very very fast, when i came back from england after leaving the tree at the traders shop < see my post in the lounge> the branches were 30/40 cm overgrown . i will try and get an oval 70 by 60 by 20 then its not such a big change . comments please . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:15 am

Look at the tree condition, if there are mostly fibre-roots and you don't need to prun too much on them, then it should be ok to repot. Another thing is are they now in vulcanic soil ? If yes, then it's even better because vulcanic soils are very loose and will not damage so much the fibre-roots during the repotting. Anyway, you should observe the condition yourself and make wise decision.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 am

thanks robert, yes its mostly fibrous root and its in a mix of pumice and coral rock 1/4 to 1/2 inch size so should be ok . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 am

here's what i meant. when i remove the extension i saw a lot of roots i want to remove.
repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun> Img_1810
here's the photo when i have done cutting the roots.
repoting the pemphis more advice needed <robert and jun> Img_1811

i used root hormone and anti stress. now this tree is expose to full sunlight after 2 weeks in shaded area. Smile

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:42 am

If such roots system are exposed after repotting, you should cover them with sphagnum moss...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am

Thank for Pemphis advise Very Happy . good to me.
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down