Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Silver Birch - Feeding and location

2 posters

Go down

New Silver Birch - Feeding and location Empty New Silver Birch - Feeding and location

Post  Relequestual Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I have wanted a bonsai tree for a while and, and last week I received what appears to be a Silver Birch.

Picture of tree...
http://campl.us/fDYxzkM3ngW

I was also given a small book which suggests I should water it probably once every few days when the soil is dry (for that type of tree). The tiny booklet that came with it said I should trip any branches that fall outside the holding cage, and any that go up/down. I haven't got myself any tools yet (as they look pretty expensive), and others have told me I shouldn't need to trim it for a few months yet.

My question is, how often should I add plant food to the water, and what type of food should I be getting?

Also, I moved it from my lounge into my bedroom, but realised that the bed side table is right in front of a radiator, which is the only one I currently use in the flat. Could this be bad for the tree?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Relequestual
Relequestual

Back to top Go down

New Silver Birch - Feeding and location Empty Re: New Silver Birch - Feeding and location

Post  MrFancyPlants Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 pm

I am pretty sure that it is a chinese elm, but I could be wrong. Next to the radiator is a bad idea. You should put it next to the sunniest window in the house if it is to remain indoors, but it would enjoying being outdoors most of all. I have had some luck with indoor bonsai; supplemental lighting has made a drastic improvement in the health of my trees.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

New Silver Birch - Feeding and location Empty Re: New Silver Birch - Feeding and location

Post  MrFancyPlants Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Oh, and no reason to buy fancy tools just yet. A sharp pair of shears should do the trick when it comes time to tidy it up a bit.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Relequestual Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks! Looks like it could indeed by a Chinese Elm!

mmmm that's annoying, means I can't have it by my bed. Might be able to have it on my desk (other side of the room), but the lounge has a window that has good light. My bedroom window also gets light, but it's right above the radiator =[

I can't have it outside as I'm in a flat.
Relequestual
Relequestual

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down