Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

american beech wire torniquet ??

2 posters

Go down

american beech wire torniquet ?? Empty american beech wire torniquet ??

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:59 am

I have a nice american beech that was collected 4 years ago. It has spent 2 in a nursery pot and it put out healthy growth. Then I planted it into the ground to speed up its development. Last year 2012, the beech put out two flushes of growth, the second being in august. Right now there is buds up and down the branches, and several spots on the trunk. It seems to be happy at the moment.
Now having I said its current state of health, would it be safe to wire tourniquet the base a few inches below the soil line? I want radial roots which is not present at the moment. Thanks.
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

american beech wire torniquet ?? Empty Re: american beech wire torniquet ??

Post  leatherback Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:49 am

I would say it is perfect. Soon you will get the spring flush, adding some girth to the plant. It should sprout lots of roots before the year is over. Next spring the roots might be developed enough to allow you to separate the mature roots from the plant and continue with just the new roots. Just be carefull to not disturb the current roots too much.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down