Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tropical Species in the Frozen North

4 posters

Go down

Tropical Species in the Frozen North Empty Tropical Species in the Frozen North

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I few feeks ago a question was asked as to why grow tropicals in cold climates. This Bouganvillia "Pink Pixie" is one reason. I started it from a cutting about 12 years ago.

This was yesterday:

Tropical Species in the Frozen North Bougie10

This is today:

Tropical Species in the Frozen North Bougie11

Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Tropical Species in the Frozen North Empty Re: Tropical Species in the Frozen North

Post  coh Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 pm

That was me who posted the thread you refer to (Tropical bonsai in cold climates).

Obviously you have (or have been able to create) the conditions required to successfully grow this plant indoors in our climate. If my tropical plants looked this good, I wouldn't have posted my thread. However, they continue to decline...despite my building an enclosure to keep them warmer and a bit more humid, while still giving them as much light (metal halide and fluorescent) as possible (since I don't have access to a large enough window for them).

Depending on how my tropicals do once they get outside this summer, I'll probably be downsizing my collection. Perhaps a bougainvillea would be a better match for my conditions than some of my current plants. Then again, the thought of a winter-time break from bonsai is sounding quite appealing right now, especially since the plants don't really grow enough to require any bonsai work...just watering and moving them around to even out the light. Oh, and picking up dead leaves ...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Tropical Species in the Frozen North Empty Re: Tropical Species in the Frozen North

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Twisted,

hats off to you. I can't grow a Bougainvillea and Yvonne is giving me instructions on how to grow a ficus - chuckle.
I am content to watch and enjoy.
Thanks for posting.
I like.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm

I grow about 10 tropical trees indoors in LaGrange, Kentucky. Granted its not New York, but its a fairly longish cold winter. I've been doing it for years.

They are in a room with a single 400w HPS light on a light track. My results have improved drastically in the past couple of years by focusing on feeding them throughout the winter months and paying attention to humidity levels. They all now grow aggressively. So much so that my surinam cherries are now fruiting with six or seven very large cherries.

I'm convinced they can be grown successfully anywhere. That said. I've been doing the same thing, sort of. I haven't sold or given away any, but I am only taking on temperate trees. It's just much easier to over winter outside.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down