Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books on tokonomas?

+6
sunip
JimLewis
Russell Coker
dick benbow
Bruce Winter
mambo
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Books on tokonomas? - Page 2 Empty Re: Books on tokonomas?

Post  Maliea Chiem Tue May 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Billy et all; just ordered the aforementioned book by Benz & am happy to hear it suggested. I had read other good reviews.
I'm just beginning to explore display aesthetics. I like how displays can be arranged to tell a story or emit a feeling.
I live in a studio apt & am unsure how to proceed

Maliea Chiem

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 pm

In my residence i have two display opportunities, and something for one to contemplate.

One is in a living room situation (tokonoma) where i can sit with quests and relax, drink tea and enjoy in a relaxed setting.

The other one is viewed on the way in or out of the door. It is a table top display. maybe more suitable for your living situation, Maliea.

The displays are quite different. The toko one can be quite subtle, with time to ponder.
The seki needs to be a little more obvious, with precious time to sort thru with one's coming and going.

Still both have a presence, and an opportunity to serve a purpose.

I have been quite challenged to grasp the sutbtleness. I always wanted to start by overstating everything Smile
the more i learn the more i enjoy. i hope you'll start with some photos of what we can help you with. We'll try and be as kind as we can, but true to helping you grasp the concepts. Birds of a feather, stick together......Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Maliea Chiem Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks Dick, for you're thoughts. I'm just scratching the surface of the art of display!!
B/c I'm in such small quarters everything is sorta smushed together; I've used different colors to help segue & distinguish areas. A very light yellow in the living area; where I do entertain despite the limited space. I Enjoy being a hostess! i am Vietnamese we gather weekly & eat family style. I am jealous! I wish I had an area serve my Banoi (father's mother) tea! Vietnamese
bonsai seems more ornamental similar to Chinese style from what I've seen, heard & read.
I have no stands to date. & I still haven't finalized the pot choice either! Maybe ill post my choices & tree (willow leave ficus) for opinions.

Maliea Chiem

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue May 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Thank-you for sharing a bit of yourself. I think it helps us to understand some of your decisions that were instilled from your culture. I really enjoy the vietnamese suiseki being shared on our stone threads. Really beautiful. Don't be afraid to start sharing from photos from what you have. It takes time to acquire what's needed and to grasp some of the thoughts on display. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Maliea Chiem Wed May 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!! it's crossed my mind that my tree /display may be laughed at!! But, I'm here for critiscm & advice. I'm here to learn & improve!
I also enjoy suiseki! Excited to check out the Viet stones & see if location is specified.
The 2 scrolls i have are hand painted in Vietnam but far
too busy for a bonsai display. My Banoi's family was
from China. Her father didn't think girls should be taught
to read & write. She would hide in the forests & practice. I may buy some nice paper stock & have her write a few stanzas from a poem. We honor my grandfather & other ancestors on the days of thier death & other holidays; id like to customize my displays during those occasions too.
Such would make not only the desired display but, memories w/ my Banoi, connection w/ my culture & respect & reverence for my ansestors. Maybe my last name in Chinese for that occasion? I consider myself a decent artist & could enhance it w/ a floral image below. A lotus maybe?
Thoughts/ideas/ critiscm appreciated it!

Maliea Chiem

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Maliea Just follow your heart!
Let it lead you... Basketball
stonener

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Maliea Chiem Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Stonener- I shall try!!!
I may do it incorrectly but w/ practice. . . .
I find something photo/idea that excites me everyday! I'm very excited about this new endeavor (as you may have noticed my multiple posts on many topics)
I'm surely on the verge of annoying (or perhaps past it!)

Maliea Chiem

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 am

My friend M
Learn to walk!
so that later you can run!
wish someone had told me... Basketball
stonener www.aisekikai.com

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2