Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

japanese maple graft

4 posters

Go down

japanese maple graft Empty japanese maple graft

Post  Jake16 Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Why are jap maples grafted and on to what? I found a large half price bloodgood without a graft so rhats where this question is coming from.

Last edited by Jake16 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

japanese maple graft Empty Re: japanese maple graft

Post  63pmp Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 pm

JAP used to make motorcycle engines back in the twenties. I didn't know they did anything with plants.

Paul

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 am

You're probably too young to know it, but "Jap" isn't exactly, um, let's say "polite". Yes, I hear that term used in the nursery trade, but usually by, um, let's say "rednecks".

So, many of maple cultivars aren't very strong on their own roots, and/or difficult to propogate by cuttings. Grafting is an easy way to get a strong, sellable plant quickly. The understock is usually regular old seedling green Japanese maples. 'Bloodgood' is easy to find on its own roots, and grows fine either way.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am

ohh I did know that but didn't even think about it that way. I meant more like jap. (abbreviation) and now after seeing some of the posts im hesitant to get it. So I dont have a pic but I would like to get some feedback. Its a $60 tree for thirty. The nebari is around a couple of inches and looks nice (if i remember correctly). It suffered from what looked like a break higher up on the tree and therefore has produced a number of branches lower on the trunk. Thoughts?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

japanese maple graft Empty Re: jap maple graft

Post  timatkinson Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:56 am

Oh it is too easy to say the wrong thing...anyway, the japanese maple called "Bloodgood" grows very well on it's own roots. I have several, including very vigorous seedlings from my largest "Bloodgood" (which is a landscape tree). Of course the question is, what is a named cultivar if it is NOT grafted? Anyway, don't let me rant, I have decided I will stay away from grafted trees for bonsai as the mis-match between the rootstock (usually common green maple) and scion becomes only more noticeable as time passes...there usually is a very noticeable graft scar, differences in color and bark texture and most importantly differences in growth rates leading to a mis-match in size (diameter). About the only thing you can do to minimize these differences is to layer a new set of roots as close to the union as possible (and even then there are problems)...and of course in your case you mention the root flare/base on the tree in question as being desirable. It would be lost if you need to build a new set of roots. So I hope this is helpful to you, your sale tree might be more of a problem than it is actually worth. Warm regards - Tim
timatkinson
timatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:06 am

Tim,
Thank for the reply. At the nursery they have a landscape tree that did that. The base was almost a foot and the trunk was half that. Anyways, I looked for a graft and could not find one anywhere. Ill stop by ttheir tomorrow and get some pictures.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  63pmp Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:49 am

My mistake Embarassed

They're still going!

Check out these magnificent engines!

http://www.japrestwich.com

Paul

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Those are sweet looking:)
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm

japanese maple graft 20130210

japanese maple graft 20130211

japanese maple graft 20130212

Looks like thw nebari is a little weird but I think it can be cut back flush with the trunk because thw othwr roots are lower. What do yall think?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down