Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Banyon 1

+2
tmmason10
dorothy7774
6 posters

Go down

Chinese Banyon 1 Empty Chinese Banyon 1

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:53 am

This Chinese banyon aka Ficus retusa (trade name) was started as a cutting in the 90's. I began training it in 2007. By then it was still in a nursery pot and in poor health. After regaining strength the tree was planted 2008 into a bonsai pot:

Chinese Banyon 1 Cb_lon10

Two years ago:
Chinese Banyon 1 Ficuss10

Now:
Chinese Banyon 1 Ficusr10

Chinese Banyon 1 Chines10

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Chinese Banyon 1 Empty Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  tmmason10 Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 am

Another nice tree Dorothy. You really have a wonderful collection and a great eye with things

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:49 pm

It is a very nice F Retusa. The base is really excellent. Have you considered the possibility of removing the lower right hand branch and slightly pulling down some of the remaining branches.
Regards
Hank

Chinese Banyon 1 Ficusr11
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Chinese Banyon 1 Empty chinese banyon 1

Post  moyogijohn Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Dorothy ,, this is a very nice tree !! my opion only removeing that right branch would throw the tree off balence.. looks good the way it is..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Phillip Elliott Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am

Dorothy the tree looks great, is that a 12 in pot? Is it in pure lava?
This is Phil from Lighthouse B.S. . I spend a lot of time learning from people, when could I drive across and come and marvel in your collection and ask you you a couple hundred questions?
Every tree I have seen of your is outstanding, thank you for sharing.
Phil
Phillip Elliott
Phillip Elliott

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Dorothy,
Are yours Ficus and mine sisters?
Here is mine
Chinese Banyon 1 P1010604_zps9bb0b300
After transplanting in the new bigger pot
Chinese Banyon 1 P10106282_zps71671b7d
This tree was displayed at the 5th World Bonsai Convention in Washington DC (2005)

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:02 pm

tmmason10 wrote:Another nice tree Dorothy. You really have a wonderful collection and a great eye with things

Thank you for the compliment, tmmason10. I use my hands too.. Very Happy

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Hank Miller wrote:It is a very nice F Retusa. The base is really excellent. Have you considered the possibility of removing the lower right hand branch and slightly pulling down some of the remaining branches.
Regards
Hank

Hank, thank you. It's a thought. Then again, since I am growing it as a Banyon I do accept symmetry and heavier lower branches, There is actually smaller branches in front of that clunker.I need to remove the aerial root though. Forgot about it.

-Dorothy

Last edited by dorothy7774 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cosmetic reason, ha!)
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm

moyogijohn wrote:Dorothy ,, this is a very nice tree !! my opion only removeing that right branch would throw the tree off balence.. looks good the way it is..take care john

Thanks moyogijohn, the trouble with banyon style is you want the branches to develop character and feed on aerial roots for a while. Then we have to decide which ones to take off or live with reverse taper or melt them into the main trunk (after feeding the top too). Decisions, decisions..

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Phillip Elliott wrote:Dorothy the tree looks great, is that a 12 in pot? Is it in pure lava?
This is Phil from Lighthouse B.S. . I spend a lot of time learning from people, when could I drive across and come and marvel in your collection and ask you you a couple hundred questions?
Every tree I have seen of your is outstanding, thank you for sharing.
Phil

Now that I see your avatar I remember you, Phillip! The pot is 16" by 11". It really needs to be shallower for this tree. I will switch pots with another banyon this year. Both need repots, so that's the chance to swap. Smile Pure lava, yes. However, I will plant it in Jason Schley's soil this year. Great soil! I have planted some other trees into his mix, super good.

A couple hundred question at a time or all at once? Wink

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:26 pm

xuan le wrote:Hi Dorothy,
Are yours Ficus and mine sisters?
Here is mine
Chinese Banyon 1 P1010604_zps9bb0b300
After transplanting in the new bigger pot
Chinese Banyon 1 P10106282_zps71671b7d
This tree was displayed at the 5th World Bonsai Convention in Washington DC (2005)

Nice tree(s)!, Xuan le. How long have you been growing it? I see you are accepting the works of aerial roots..Funny you can pull down the extended branch outside the container. My trees would definetly "walk" away. Ernie did that once to one of his ficus (Benjamina). The Ficus not only went off the table, eventually it grew 20 feet tall and displayed the pot in the crown area! I am not kidding you. Of course I have to add that Ernie is not always looking after his trees on a regular base. So, off went the tree..and the pot! Laughing

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks Dorothy,
I have no problems using the weights to pull the branch down with this tree (believe it or not I did not even tight the tree to the pot)
Here is what I used as weight
Chinese Banyon 1 001_zps9f053c8e
Regards
Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down