Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

witchhazel

2 posters

Go down

witchhazel Empty witchhazel

Post  moyogijohn Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:09 pm

i bought one of these in tennessee this week....when to root prune and top prune is what i need to know !! thank you in advance..john also got a quince pink storm and i see different suggestions about it ???? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

witchhazel Empty Re: witchhazel

Post  Auballagh Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 am

I top prune my Witch Hazel after the flowers get dead-headed, (early). Root pruning happens later in spring when the leaf buds start to swell out.
Couldn't say about the Quince. They grow wood painfully slow, and I'm trying to get some trunk caliber on mine with in-ground growth.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

witchhazel Empty witch hazle

Post  moyogijohn Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Thank you Auballagh for your respoce... we are headed for another bad week of weather so they will sit i the greehouse for a bit longer.. you said dead head the flowers befor pruning ??? how long do they flower mine has some flowers now.. thank you john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:01 am

Those witch hazels do blossom early, don't they? Many advocate pinching the flower buds off, because you'll get better and stronger development of your tree if you don't let it use resources toward blossoming... But what the heck, I love the smell of those flowers and it's nice to get a bit of color this time of year when winter has definitely gotten old. Rolling Eyes
I see you're in a colder zone then I am, but it's interesting that our trees are blossoming at the same time? Maybe that's because you are keeping yours under shelter? Mine stays outside on the ground during winter, and usually blooms strongly through to mid-March before the flowers are pretty much done.
Our native species grow BIG leaves in the summer, unfortunately! And, I haven't had much luck in reducing them all that much. So mine is definitely a winter and spring interest kind of Bonsai tree.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

witchhazel Empty witch hazel

Post  moyogijohn Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Thank you Auballagh ,, i do like the flowers they are different.. that is why i got the bush to start with.. yes it is colder here 26 degrees this morning ! i am so tired of it... take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum