Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting From A Cutting

5 posters

Go down

Starting From A Cutting Empty Starting From A Cutting

Post  Juan Dicks Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey guys.
I don't know if this question has been asked here before as I am new to this Bonsai Club site...
What I want to know is, will my cutting grow when I use a nr2 hormone powder. Does it really matter how strong the hormone powder is? I have a good cutting. Not too thick and not too small either. Please would someone answer me.

Thanks in advance

Juan Dicks

Back to top Go down

Starting From A Cutting Empty Re: Starting From A Cutting

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I'll kick things off since this won't be a very helpful answer.

Depends on the cutting, depends on the time of year. From what I understand the strength definitely matters. Owen Reich and I were discussing this for a bit a couple of weeks ago and he HIGHLY recommended - Dr. Michael Dirr's book - The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation.

What are you trying to grow?

Have a great week!!!
Sam

Last edited by Sam Ogranaja on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelled Owen's last name name - Blasphemy I tell you.)
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Juan Dicks Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Hey howzit man.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm tryna start my own bonsai tree from a tree where we live at.

Juan Dicks

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Juan Dicks wrote:I'm tryna start my own bonsai tree from a tree where we live at.

Before we can give any kind of useful answer, we need to know what kind of tree this cutting came from. Also, how old is the wood of the cutting (this year's growth, previous year, etc.)

Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Actually, before you try growing from a cutting, you need to know something abut cuttings in general.

For once, Google wasn't much help. The first two pages of any search combination I tried with "cuttings" in it came up with garbage from various plant and garden forums by people who knew little about it.

I suggest you read and digest this article: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/cepublications/pnw0152/pnw0152.html

But as has already been said, we need to know what KIND of "bonsai tree" you will be trying to go. Conifer, deciduous, evergreen, juniper, fig, oak, maple, etc. It will also help if we know with some specificity where you will be growing it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Sam Ogranaja wrote:I'll kick things off since this won't be a very helpful answer.

Depends on the cutting, depends on the time of year. From what I understand the strength definitely matters. Owen Reich and I were discussing this for a bit a couple of weeks ago and he HIGHLY recommended - Dr. Michael Dirr's book - The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation.

What are you trying to grow?

Have a great week!!!
Sam

it IS worth every penny...the only downside i see (if you can even call it a downside) is that it is pretty technical, so having atleast some experience and general horticultural knowledge would be best...
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Juan Dicks wrote:Hey guys.
I don't know if this question has been asked here before as I am new to this Bonsai Club site...
What I want to know is, will my cutting grow when I use a nr2 hormone powder. Does it really matter how strong the hormone powder is? I have a good cutting. Not too thick and not too small either. Please would someone answer me.

Thanks in advance

so...i admire your enthusiasm, and i would like to help...but i have to ask...how do you know its not too small or not too thick? the strength of the rooting hormone does matter, but this depends on species mostly, and some dont even need any rooting hormone, and using too strong of a hormone can actually do more harm than good...in order to be able to help (as everyone has already pointed out) we need to know the species you are trying to propagate
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Juan Dicks Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:24 am

Oliver Muscio wrote:
Juan Dicks wrote:I'm tryna start my own bonsai tree from a tree where we live at.

Before we can give any kind of useful answer, we need to know what kind of tree this cutting came from. Also, how old is the wood of the cutting (this year's growth, previous year, etc.)

Oliver

I'm not sure what kind of tree it is. I will post a pic of the tree maybe then you will know...
The cutting I think may be from last year's growth

Juan Dicks

Back to top Go down

Post  Juan Dicks Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 am

I don't know if this is gonna help...
This is the tree that I got my cutting from.
Hope someone will know what kind of tree this is and I do have the cutting in my room now because we do not really have shade outside so it will get direct sunlight

Thanks
Starting From A Cutting Tree_zpsfc335bce.jpg

Last edited by Juan Dicks on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to upload)

Juan Dicks

Back to top Go down

Post  Juan Dicks Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 am

Starting From A Cutting Tree10

Juan Dicks

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Maybe someone else from South Africa can ID the tree from that picture. I can't.

BUT . . .

Growing the cutting inside with indoor light and other indoor conditions will add a BIG lot of difficulty to starting a cutting, and

Rooting hormone is likely highly necessary, and the stronger the better, I'd imagine, and

You may need to take a more recent cutting than one you have already cut -- or at the very least, cut the bottom off of this one so it is fresh.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down