Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yaupon holly

5 posters

Go down

Yaupon holly Empty Yaupon holly

Post  moyogijohn Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:56 pm

A friend in south georgia,,who started me in bonsai,, will be sending me a yaupon after new years.. he is going to root prune and trim it back for shipping.. lots of tempature change..i read they can take a little frost but w. va. is different.. could i keep it inside till the cold is over ???? thank you in advance take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Yaupon holly Empty Re: Yaupon holly

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Since it has been pruned and you will put it in new soil, I suspect it will stimulate new growth and that growth will be very tender, so yes give as much light as possible but keep it from temps below 40 F.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 am

John,

if it helps this shrub grows well down here and just slows for a month, but I am still getting growth on this presently.
Khaimraj

Yaupon holly Yaupon10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Yaupon holly Empty YAUPON HOLLY

Post  moyogijohn Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:49 am

Thank you Billy,,I was not sure just where to keep it.. i will try and post a picture when it it gets here.. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Yaupon holly Empty yaupon holly

Post  moyogijohn Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 am

Khaimraj,, Thank you for your post ! that one looks really nice.. maybe i can get lucky to get one like that.. i wish i had the kind of weather you have then it would be no worry.. you have such good trees !! thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:48 am

Here in Florida, mine stay out all year. BUT this isn't WV.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Billy ,, I was in fla. for a long time, wish i was there now !! should i treat this tree like a tropical up here ?? thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:04 pm

John,

here are the limits you might need [Tropics ] - Daytime 90 - 88 deg.F daytime high, but only for an hour or so, more around 86 deg.F and nightime down to 68 - 70 deg.F
Humidity around 80 to 60 % as you move away from December.

Days go shorter same as on your side, but only a shift from Summer 6.15 p.m Sunlight, then a very short glow to darkness and around Winter 5.30 p.m Sunlight, then a very short glow to darkness.

So you may just wish to keep the temperature to say 70 deg.F and use the natural light and see if the plant responds to that.
From Summer condition to it's natural range - where does the Yaupon come from and how much cold can it withstand in a pot or in the ground?
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks Khaimraj,, summer is not to worry here. it gets hot 90 and above.the winters are cold,in the teens with snow with harsh winds..i am not sure it can take that.. thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 pm

moyogijohn wrote:Thanks Khaimraj,, summer is not to worry here. it gets hot 90 and above.the winters are cold,in the teens with snow with harsh winds..i am not sure it can take that.. thanks john

I am not sure people should take that, that is why there is a WV Day in my community,
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Yaupon holly Empty Yaupon Holly

Post  bonsaisr Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Ilex vomitoria received its repellent botanical name because the local Native Americans used its tea as an emetic during religious purification ceremonies.
Hardiness zones are 7A to 9B. Not quite hardy in W. Va. Don't you have a cold greenhouse of some sort? It would be fine there. I would not winter it in the house.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Mrs Iris ,, Thank you for your comment.. I do have a small green house with a heat light in it..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:05 am

John-
Yaupons grow wild all around these parts and the dwarf varieties are a common sight in our gardens and yards. They can take a good freeze here (down into the 20's), but in pots I've had roots die back when it gets in the low 20's to teens. In your area, I would treat them as any other subtropical plant (crepe myrtle, pomegranate, olive) and let it get a winter rest but protect them from the worst of your weather, as Iris had recommended. However - newly collected or repotted trees have very sensitive roots, and I would take care not to let it freeze this first year, just as a safety measure.

Iris - the latest thought on the name of the plant, Ilex vomitoria, was that a misunderstanding took place between the natives and settlers. The leaves have caffeine and it was probably this stimulant they were after in the drink. The "emetic".. um, purging ritual was most likely part of a ceremony, and not a cause of the plant. Of course now the poor Yaupon is stuck with this name! In any case, it is a beautiful and vigorous native that should be used more in the Bonsai community!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:41 am

JMCOY,, Thanks for your information.. I will keep it protected for sure this winter when I get it.. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down