Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks, weatherman . . .

+4
BigDave
Paul Stokes
tombeur
JimLewis
8 posters

Go down

Thanks, weatherman . . . Empty Thanks, weatherman . . .

Post  JimLewis Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:36 pm

He's saying that we here in the mountains and foothills are going to see 25 degrees F tonite with wind gusts to 70 mph.

My anemometer just now (10:10 a.m.) measured a 35 mph gust -- up from 2 mph mere seconds before. I was out moving small trees off the tables and onto the ground and the tippy trees indoors for the night when it blew.

We'll probably lose power tonight when trees break power lines and poles.

Thanks, weatherman.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Thanks, weatherman . . . Empty Re: Thanks, weatherman . . .

Post  tombeur Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Bad here too... we have gotten about 20 cm of snow so far today and they say to expect another 10 or 15 cm

Thanks weatherman Evil or Very Mad

tombeur

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Stokes Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 pm

After the 20 inches of snow that fell yesterday, I will be feeling 5 degrees tonight with 50mph gusts. And people thought that the blizzard was the worst part. Very Happy
Paul Stokes
Paul Stokes

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Paul Stokes wrote:After the 20 inches of snow that fell yesterday, I will be feeling 5 degrees tonight with 50mph gusts. And people thought that the blizzard was the worst part. Very Happy

Where you live Paul Stokes
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Stokes Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:00 am

Madison Wisconsin brrrrr
Paul Stokes
Paul Stokes

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:56 am

While I can't say that it's that bad down here, it did seem like the weather changed overnight, literally. At about 1am, we had this massive downpour. The sky just opened up and we probably received 2 inches of rain in about 45 minutes. Then today felt about 20 degrees colder than yesterday.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:18 am

We are down to 70 deg.F at night and highs of 90 deg.F during the day , lots of rain and the house floors are cold.
Ah winter.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:33 am

PeacefulAres wrote:While I can't say that it's that bad down here, it did seem like the weather changed overnight, literally. At about 1am, we had this massive downpour. The sky just opened up and we probably received 2 inches of rain in about 45 minutes. Then today felt about 20 degrees colder than yesterday.

We call that Summer over here in Scotland. Bagpiper Laughing
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:41 am

fiona wrote:
PeacefulAres wrote:While I can't say that it's that bad down here, it did seem like the weather changed overnight, literally. At about 1am, we had this massive downpour. The sky just opened up and we probably received 2 inches of rain in about 45 minutes. Then today felt about 20 degrees colder than yesterday.

We call that Summer over here in Scotland. Bagpiper Laughing

Heh. We get the rain here, at least. In the summer it can get so hot and muggy, I'm glad when we get one of those late summer days where the humidity is low and there's a nice dry breeze rolling through.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Got lucky. The worst of the storm went north of me. Had heavy rain, then freezing rain, then about 2 inches of snow on top of that. There is still snow on the trees, pots and lawn, but pavement is now clear and dry so travel is safe. Wind was bad for 2 days, gusts to 40 mph. Winter has arrived, but relatively mild for my area. Daytime highs have been around 32 to 37 F (0 to 3 C). Night time lows are running 18 F to 25 F. (- 6 C to - 3 C). Not bad, but definitely winter has arrived.

Could have been a lot worse. Back in the winter of 1983 or maybe 1988, regardless, more or less 3 decades ago, I had the joy of experiencing a real temperature (not talking about wind chill), a real temperature on New Year's Eve of -25 F, which works out to roughly -32 C. So cold that taking a deep breath outdoors was painful. Nose hair inside the nostrils would freeze as you inhale. Went to a party where all were required to stay for the night, we knew the cold would be too dangerous to leave the safety of a warm home. Late that night we had a contest to see if anyone's cars would start, only the old Toyota with over 200,000 miles on the engine would start, mostly because the engine was so worn out that it had no compression, and it had a new battery. All the newer cars were too cold to start. We all stayed. The next day as it warmed up to - 5 F, everyone's cars started and we were able to return to our homes. The nice thing about Global Warming is that I haven't had to deal with that since. Can't say I miss it either.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:16 pm

By the way, I had mulched in my pots of Japanese White pines, and American white pines, and that spring I had planted a border bed with yellow groove bamboo (Phyllostachys aureosulcata normal form) All of them came through the - 25 F with no problem. The bamboo had winterkilled to the ground, but new shoots came up that spring. So our trees can definitely take the cold, if they are listed to being hardy to zone 5 or 4 when grown in the ground, if you site them well for the winter, for example, pots buried and mulched in a location out of wind and sun, the trees can take the cold. That winter the ground froze to a depth of 6 or 7 feet. My relatives that own a funeral home mentioned that the cemeteries had to store caskets for interment in spring because the ground was frozen so hard that the light weight back hoes digging machines they used could not dig.

So if you know your trees are hardy to zone 5 or 4, you really don't need to give them heat in winter, just get out of the wind and sun, into a spot where they can freeze and stay frozen. Its the freeze thaw cycling that causes the majority of the problems, not the absolute temperatures.

I didn't have a lot of trees then, so those were the ones I remember having outdoors at the time.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum