Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Picking a Pot

5 posters

Go down

Help Picking a Pot Empty Help Picking a Pot

Post  Dutchie_Boy Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:23 am

I will be doing some shaping and refinement to this semi-cascade maple this winter.

Help Picking a Pot 2012-110

I'm looking for a semi-cascade pot to suit this maple. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you think?

Mark

Dutchie_Boy

Back to top Go down

Help Picking a Pot Empty Help Picking a Pot

Post  Dutchie_Boy Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:25 am

Don't worry about the JBP seedlings in the front, I won't be repotting them for a while. Very Happy

Dutchie_Boy

Back to top Go down

Help Picking a Pot Empty Re: Help Picking a Pot

Post  marcus watts Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:14 am

hi,

do you see the tree ending up the overall size it is now or more compact in the apex ?

If the apex was half its current height and the cascade branch layered and thinned a bit the pot needed will be smaller, or the pot will be a bit bigger if the tree is close to the size you want.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutchie_Boy Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:26 am

I plan to reduce the apex height down to about a third of its current height, I will be reducing the branches by about the same.

Dutchie_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 am

I would go with a pot color that contrasts the leaf color. With the maple you could go with a glazed pot. I would consider a muted earthy tone yellow, or perhaps a blue color. You could also make a nice contrast with an unglazed pot if you could fine a pot made with yellow clay, or a blue toned gray clay. White and off white could work.

I would avoid purple red glazes, dark brown unglazed pots. These are too close in color to the leaves, and the vibrant feature of the tree would be muted by too similar a color.

I could not propose a shape or size until the tree is closer to its 'display' shape. Those would be my thoughts.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am

Dutchie,

I'd go with a glazed cream or off-white rectangular pot of roughly the same depth as width, with ornate feet, and a bit of a lip. The opt could be a little wider at the top than at the base.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I wouldn't even worry about a pot for a couple of years -- when you might have this tree approximating its "finished" look.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm

JimLewis wrote:I wouldn't even worry about a pot for a couple of years -- when you might have this tree approximating its "finished" look.

right on!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down