Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE!

+3
Carolee
Jeremy
Jay Gaydosh
7 posters

Go down

Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE! Empty Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE!

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:20 pm

I told my wife I was done obtaining new trees for the year. Sad

That was before I found the 2 new Boxwoods Surprised , got a great deal on the 2 new Junipers Wink , broke down and bought the Cotoneaster Neutral , stopped at Owens Nursery (they're the guys in Bloomington, Illinois with all the nice mail-order catalogues) and bought 10 Juniperus procumbens starts for 2.99 a piece Shocked , received the donation of my new Bald Cypress, Russian Olive and Globe Yew. thumbs up

SOOOOO...

Today over lunch I was looking for some Bacillus thuringiensis isrealensis (Bti) for fungus gnats and managed to find a Juniperus squamata 'Holger', it was over-grown and had a nice thick trunk... Shocked . And, then had it cleaned out, bottom branches pruned, excessive growth pinched and prepped for the trip home (OVER LUNCH)! Laughing

I think I need an INTERVENTION! affraid

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE! Empty Chosen by bonsai.

Post  Jeremy Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:01 am

Jay,
Na, What you need are more pots and akadama. Twisted Evil
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE! Empty Re: Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE!

Post  Carolee Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:37 pm

WELL SAID!
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE! Empty Re: Bonsai - Interest, Hobby, Profession, Obsession or DISEASE!

Post  fiona Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:I told my wife I was done obtaining new trees for the year.
Ah! But you didn't tell her which year though, did you? I'm currently on my 2012 quota. Laughing

Jay Gaydosh wrote:I think I need an INTERVENTION!
As Jerry says, pots and soil mixes are very therapeutic! Or you could try making a pot - that's excellent for stress busting as I found out when I went monkeying about dahn sarf (see Pots board)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:36 pm

I'm in the intervention trade. I can do you some input at a bargain rate. Hawthorns and Olives spring to mind...
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Bobby Little? Are you perchance related to Little Bobby? A mirror image? Curioser and curiouser said Alice!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:22 pm

Bobby,

I do not yet have any Hawthornes. I have two Russian Olives. One is tall and growing nicely., the other died back to a stump, but is also recovering nicely.

How much and where are you located?

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  waway Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:02 am

jay, i think you forgot to mention ADDICTION Idea

here's my story, we are not that fortunate with regards to space as we only have a 70sqm lot with a little house of about 40sqm. basically, i only have about 1.5m x 8m space for anything (nothing but bonsai) Cool , even the plant box is filled with bonsai Very Happy . i already consumed all available open space and told my wife that im done with buying trees but we still make trips south (about 100kms) and north (106m) every week just to go on a hunting/shopping spree. and currently even our roofdeck has some trees on it. i even put a couple of trees outside our premises. and now i even have 4 medium sized trees coming in a month or two. just yesterday bought 4 small size bonsai; a pemphis acidula - 2pcs and ficus salicaria - 2pcs. this is what i call an addiction, can't have enough of bonsai. and in dire need of space space space. I LOVE THIS HOBBY thumbs up

hope you don't mind me sharing my addiction Embarassed

a certified bonsai addict.

warren

waway

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:07 am

fionnghal wrote:Bobby Little? Are you perchance related to Little Bobby? A mirror image? Curioser and curiouser said Alice!

'tis I. I changed my internet provider from Virgin to Sky. Lots of kerfuffle with stuff so just changed all my login stuff for various forums. Hence the reversed name.

[quote]Bobby,

I do not yet have any Hawthornes. I have two Russian Olives. One is tall and growing nicely., the other died back to a stump, but is also recovering nicely.

How much and where are you located?

Jay

Coventry, England, and to be honest, I only work with folks up to 18. Sorry old timer Very Happy
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:34 am

bobby little wrote: 'tis I.
Ah well then. In a (possibly obscure) allusion to British sitcoms of the Eighties, should that not be "Tis I, LeClerc". Prizes for anyone getting that reference. Triple word score equivalent bonus points if you get it and you're not from the UK.

Well seen it's a miserable Sunday morning i'n't it!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 am

fionnghal wrote:
bobby little wrote: 'tis I.
Ah well then. In a (possibly obscure) allusion to British sitcoms of the Eighties, should that not be "Tis I, LeClerc". Prizes for anyone getting that reference. Triple word score equivalent bonus points if you get it and you're not from the UK.

Well seen it's a miserable Sunday morning i'n't it!

I vill say zees only once. eet was the worst sitcom in zee history of television. apart from Don't wait Up.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Wow! I think we just used our year's quota of smilies!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down