Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watering a baobab tree

+23
Macgregor
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
JB80
2bealive
Anne
Precarious
MKBonsai
erh1103
Neli
merman
Down Under Jason
kauaibonsai
redbeard
rps
tap pi lu
Conny
Zimzamzim
Randy_Davis
Leo Schordje
Andre Beaurain
Billy M. Rhodes
lennard
Plantfever
27 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Watering a baobab tree - Page 6 Empty Re: Watering a baobab tree

Post  cSo Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Growing very nice leafs very fast.
It's in a very small pot, I know I should not repot it while it's have leafs on so I will wait as much as I can.

Does any of you tried to grow Baobab in a "Air-pot" or "Smart pot" fabric container?

cSo

Back to top Go down

Post  ad_cc Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:29 am

cSo wrote:Growing very nice leafs very fast.
It's in a very small pot, I know I should not repot it while it's have leafs on so I will wait as much as I can.
Watering a baobab tree - Page 6 Baobab11
Watering a baobab tree - Page 6 Baobab10

Does any of you tried to grow Baobab in a "Air-pot" or "Smart pot" fabric container?

Hello cSo,

Just happens I am using fabric pots for my yearling Baobabs. I grew these from seed I collected in Tanzania year´s back.

Pics attached.

Regards,

ad_cc

ad_cc

cSo and ad_cc like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  cSo Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Wow, really nice setup, thanks for your reply. Are those migro leds? Do you keep your plants indoor all year? Or just winter and you don't do dormacy? How old are those plants?
Sorry for the many question, but I just can't make a good enough environment for my tree to grow decent. Rolling Eyes

cSo

Back to top Go down

Post  ad_cc Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Wow, really nice setup, thanks for your reply. Are those migro leds?
Yes they are Migro full spectrum lights, love the brand! The owner is super transparent with comparing his own product with other market leaders. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZwj4zGhH1yklVFxS54qdA)

Do you keep your plants indoor all year? Or just winter and you don't do dormacy?
I am not going to induce dormancy this year given it would be out of season but I will definetely try and induce them late this year. They would not survive outside during winter here even though I live in a high desert with hardiness zone of 8 or 9. Once they get larger he plan is to have them on my front porch in a large pot where they will get plenty of sun and heat from late spring to early fall then bring it inside when it starts getting chilly and dormancy starts.

How old are those plants?
The seeds germinated mid September 2020 so they are almost 6 months old.

Sorry for the many question, but I just can't make a good enough environment for my tree to grow decent. Rolling Eyes
This community has shared so much, so I would love to give back anything I can

ad_cc

Back to top Go down

Post  Macgregor Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 pm

HELP!

I posted several years ago in this thread, asking for help with repotting a baobab. I am grateful for that help, as the plant repotted great and has been doing well since.  I am in southeastern Nebraska.

Today I'm posting because I'm very anxious about whether or not the tree is going to start hibernating, or if I'm just slowly killing it. I brought it inside almost two months ago, when temps in the area began to drop below 40 degrees. Since then it's been sitting the same place it had each previous winter, but it has only dropped leaves recently and I fear it is due to dying rather than dormancy.

I have included some photos that show newer growth still coming out, as well as branch surface appearing to crinkly and perhaps starve. PLEASE ADVISE.

Watering a baobab tree - Page 6 IMG-4727 Watering a baobab tree - Page 6 IMG-4728 Watering a baobab tree - Page 6 IMG-4726

Last edited by Macgregor on Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Macgregor

Back to top Go down

Post  Macgregor Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Just to clarify, I haven't watered the tree since bringing it inside.

Should I water it now? Is my tree skipping dormancy this year? Should I attempt to induce dormancy?

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

Macgregor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6