Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Book! (For me)

4 posters

Go down

New Book! (For me) Empty New Book! (For me)

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:08 pm

I've had a problem finding a truely all encompasing bonsai manual. Today, at Barnes & Noble, I found one.
Originally published in 2001 it's "The Bonsai Handbook" by David Prescott with Colin Lewis as Consultant Editor.

New Book! (For me) 51844w10

Looking through the 160 pages, Prescott appears to have left out some of the history stuff and rel=placed it with basic bonsai stuff.

Looks like I'll be reading between tree work, yardwork and honeydo tasks. Wink

forbey
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

New Book! (For me) Empty Re: New Book! (For me)

Post  Cliff Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 am

I have it. I've found it to be a useful reference for the most part, but the author is British and some of his info doesn't necessarily apply outside the UK. For example his list of "the most popular indoor tropical and subtropical species" on page 41 says Serissa is easy to care for - maybe that's true in foggy ol' England, but in the northern US and Canada it can be difficult to keep a room humid enough in winter to keep a Serissa happy.

Cliff

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:31 am

Interestingly enough Cliff, it doesn't even keep well in the northern climes 300 miles away in Scotland far less 3000 across the pond.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Henrik Stubelius Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Very good book, I recommend it to beginners, this was my first and only book for years and I know large parts of it by heart. Now I have 15-20 books on bonsai and I tend to keep bying new ones althou many are a bit repetitive;)
I have no idea why he lists the serissa as easy thou. Hard to keep in Sweden, can't be much easier in GB...?
Henrik Stubelius
Henrik Stubelius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down