Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata

+3
Norma
Billy M. Rhodes
DaveJ
7 posters

Go down

Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  Empty Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata

Post  DaveJ Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:47 pm

So, i went to a garden center yesterday to get a firethorn to practice with as they are cheap so won't matter if i get it wrong and if it goes right its a bonus.

Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00810
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00910
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  01010
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  01110

This tree was seriously pot bound so i have put him in a bigger pot, no root pruning, going to do that next spring.

On my way around I found this Ilex Crenata and just couldnt leave it there to die

Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00113
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00210
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00310
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00410
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00510
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00610
Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  00710

Will the roots be ok in this pot until next spring? as i dont want to disturb it at the moment.

Any help and tips would be much appreciated Smile

Thanks

Dave
DaveJ
DaveJ

Back to top Go down

Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  Empty Re: Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Here in Florida I would do a complete repot.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  Empty Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata

Post  DaveJ Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 pm

It will be gettin cold here in a month or so, would repotting it put its health at risk?
DaveJ
DaveJ

Back to top Go down

Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata  Empty Re: Firethorn (raw material) Ilex crenata

Post  Norma Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Dave,

I have a question about the Ilex crenata (Japanese holly) called Firethorn. In the US the Firethorn is a Pyracantha, is there such a difference in species in the UK? or is this a holly of which I'm not familiar?

Best regards,
Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 pm

He's got 2 plants, Norma.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 pm

re the Ilex crenata. I would be wary of doing anything to it right now, but that is speaking from personal experience a bit further north where it is definitely not fully hardy. I have had two and found them to be pernickety little beggars that didn't like the cold and didn't like having too much done to them.

As I say, just my experience here a bit further north.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Treedwarfer Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 am

Wait until spring. Nothing to be gained by messing with it now.

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 am

Firethorn is not all that good at repairing roots. I would say: You are too late in the season, and risk loosing it all. Would just slip-pot it and in spring do the rootwork.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 am

I was under the impression that it was the Ilex the poster was asking about, not the Firethorn. I personally wouldn't touch either at this time of year in the UK except perhaps to plant the firethorn out in the garden to thicken it up for a while. But if all you want to do is tinker about and practice on like you say then you might not want to do that either.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveJ Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys Smile I have put the Firethorn into a bigger pot, as you could see the roots were hugging the inside of the pot, pretty all the way round and they were coming out of the bottom of the pot it came in, no root work done except loosening a few roots. I had my suspicions about potting the Ilex, you guys confirmed my thoughts Very Happy

Gives me plenty of time to do more research and decide how I want to style them Very Happy

Any ideas, thoughts and research material is more than welcome and appreciated Very Happy

Thanks

Dave
DaveJ
DaveJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down