Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Black Pine

4 posters

Go down

Japanese Black Pine  Empty Japanese Black Pine

Post  Brett Summers Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 am

I got this pine in a group deal several years ago. When I went to pick it up it was unexpectedly in very bad condition. I went ahead with the deal because I really wanted one of the other trees included.

Japanese Black Pine  Pine310

It was a long slow road back but I had the joy of putting it in it's first pot today. I had a nice natural looking stone type pot and it was a tough call but decided to go with another Pat Kennedy pot.

Japanese Black Pine  Pine110

Comments welcome!

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Japanese Black Pine  Empty Re: Japanese Black Pine

Post  MrFancyPlants Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Nice job rescuing the lower branch, putting it in place and bringing the foliage close to the trunk. Can I ask the order of operations on the tree? I would guess that first thing when you got it home you put it in new soil for the health of the tree. Nearly bare rooted and put in grow box?

I am looking forward to see how this develops now that the basic styling is in place.
Thank you,
David D.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:47 am

Hi David,
The previous owner had put the tree into a large pot with inappropriate soil. I knew the tree came from a reputable bonsai nursery so first off I just removed all the extra soil that had been added and kept the original root ball. Then in Spring I removed about half the soil and the next re pot removed the other half of the soil. Can't find the pictures for all that at the moment but that got me to this stage.
Japanese Black Pine  Pines210

I then took it along to a "local" workshop for advice working on pines. We came up with a plan, instead of forcing the larger branches to back bud, we removed the larger branches and used the smaller branches to grow out.
This is how it looked after that.

Japanese Black Pine  Pine3_10

Then I followed the techniques advocated by Boon, candle cutting, needle plucking and such but I always fed it well even after candle pruning. That got me here

Japanese Black Pine  00210

Then it was wired over Winter and recently re potted again in early spring.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 am

hi

excelent care plan, and nice to seee the stages you followed

.........thats why I love black pines - they respond predictably and quickly to pruning and feeding - pefect patients really Very Happy

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks Marcus. This was my first JBP but as you may see in the picture now I have many, most started from seed. I see why they are so loved.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks so much for the progression shots. It is a remarkable transformation, and I'm sure in a few more years it will be looking even better.

Thanks again,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Woosley Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:18 am

Good work Brett. Its satisfying to bring old material back from poor health, well done.
Peter Woosley
Peter Woosley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down