Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What am I doing Wrong?

5 posters

Go down

What am I doing Wrong? Empty What am I doing Wrong?

Post  Carolee Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 pm

I have grown at least six Kingsville Boxwoods through the years, and although they flourish in their original container (for years), they die after I've repotted. I just had one die which I had repotted this past spring. I have one left that I purchased during the auction at the Ashville, NC annual show 3 years ago. It is growing very well, but it is becoming obvious that I will need to repot next year. I follow the typical routine in potting: spring, before buds break, out of the wind, well-draining bonsai soil, protection after repotting. Boxwoods are the one species I kill consistently. Any suggestions? Thanks,
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

What am I doing Wrong? Empty What am I doing Wrong?

Post  bonsaisr Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:34 pm

The only thing you are doing wrong is trying to grow Kingsville boxwoods. There is some sort of disease going around. In your case the disease may be in your tools or potting soil. Every time you buy a new one you are bringing in more germs. After 20 years success mine died one after another. Ordering new ones was fatal. I gave up and switched to Nia. They don't call it Neea buxifolia for nothing.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add another comment.)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

What am I doing Wrong? Empty Re: What am I doing Wrong?

Post  drgonzo Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 pm

bonsaisr wrote:The only thing you are doing wrong is trying to grow Kingsville boxwoods.
Iris

As I've noted before, Iris has a singular wit that often makes me laugh.

But she is correct Box blight is spreading all around the country, I have also read here and there that Kingsville's are fussy though I don't keep any to tell you for sure..

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks, I don't feel so badly now.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Caorlee
For some unknown reason there are some trees that I just can not keep, and some that I can and do well with! Some times I admit defeat and just don't try to keep ones that can not, but usually after a significant monitary loss Sad
My best advice to concentrate on the ones your good with and forget the ones you can't !

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Carolee,

Living in Minnesota zone 4 is a challenge, but knowing how to winter your varieties of bonsai is imperative. My boxwood have thrived and I have many different kinds. One thing I learned is the boxwood needs a dormancy period so they are kept in my cold room for the winter and NOT treated like tropicals under lights. I've talked to many people who have had problems with their Kingsvilles and this is a huge factor.

I only repot when it is warm enough to put the bonsai out and all of my boxwoods prefer garden shade. Also the Kingsvilles use regular soil mix and not fine!

I hope you don't give up but if there is a problem with a blight .... our last club master, Rodney Clemons, an expert on boxwoods could be consulted.

Hope this helps.. good luck!

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down