Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly)

4 posters

Go down

Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) Empty Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly)

Post  Poink88 Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Here are a few of my collected Ilex. They are 1.5 weeks to 4 months and have been chopped and trimmed recently. Two were drastically chopped, they lost majority of their branches and 80%-95% of their foliage due to it.

The nebari of these are all wonderful but hardly shown Wink

A - Before
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1110805a
A - After
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130228

B - Before
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1110801a
B - After
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130239

C - Before
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1120472
C - After
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130245

D-Before
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1120483

D- After
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130270

E
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130249

F
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130286

G
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130262
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) Empty Re: Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly)

Post  JMcCoy Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:16 am

Dario,
Great bunch you have collected! My favorite is "G", it'll make a nice triple trunk image with not too much work. I'm also partial to taller trees, so "E" holds a lot of charm too. Looking forward to seeing them progress!

I assume that they're all Dwarf Yaupon, not the larger cousins right? If they were all urban collected they're most likely the 'Nana', 'Stokes', 'Shillings', or other dwarf cultivars. There's a fun one called 'Bordeaux' that has burgundy colored new growth that you run across every now and then too, and a new cultivar called Micron that has leaves that are 1/3 the size of the dwarf varieties (I'm experimenting with some grafting now). The full sized species Ilex vomitoria (easy to find in the woods) is almost useless for Bonsai as it is stick-straight, long internodes and large leaves. I have one that I've been fighting for years that doesn't have half the look of the dwarf varieties.
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) Empty Re: Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly)

Post  Poink88 Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Joey,

A, B, & D seem to be bigger than the rest. The leaves & internodes seem be different and as you stated, a bit more difficult to work with.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:34 pm

Well then those could possibly be 'Pride of Houston' or one of the other medium varieties. Those are still smaller (dwarfer? Smile ) than the wild species but can grow into taller bushes/short trees and usually have lots of crooks and bends. You see those types mostly in shopping centers and parking lots. Only time will tell as they grow out. If they develop red berries at all, then they're one of the medium variety. The small Dwarfs are all male clones that have just the tiny flowers.
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:35 pm

You got some nice stuff there Dario . Going to be fun in the next few years.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 pm

did you snap the top off your tape measure ? Twisted Evil some seem 3 meters tall Very Happy

well re-chopped - now they will develop right where you want them to.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 pm

marcus watts wrote:did you snap the top off your tape measure ? Twisted Evil some seem 3 meters tall Very Happy

well re-chopped - now they will develop right where you want them to.

cheers Marcus
Yes Marcus, the spring broke so I cut a couple 2' sections to use Very Happy

Check "F"...that one have a huge deadwood that I did not notice when I picked this up...I am not sure if the big 3rd branch on the left will sprout or not. It is still green but the only one w/o any buds. No problem though...it has plenty of branches to choose from design wise.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:22 pm

hi Dario,

this would be my initial 'F'
Poink88's Ilex Vomitoria (Yaupon Holly) P1130210

one good powerfull trunk and the rest branches

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down