Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trash Pile Privets

4 posters

Go down

Trash Pile Privets Empty Trash Pile Privets

Post  hometeamrocker Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Here's a couple of Privets I rescued that were removed from a neighbor's hedge. These two had holes in the trunk that were collecting and holding water, so I tried my hand at carving to provide a drain for the water and to help keep the insides from rotting out. I'm pretty happy with the results, but always interested in opinions and constructive criticisms. Do you think I've carved enough, long enough and deep enough? What would you do next, wood hardener? Lime Sulphur?

Trash Pile Privets P1Trash Pile Privets P2Trash Pile Privets P3Trash Pile Privets P4

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Trash Pile Privets Empty Re: Trash Pile Privets

Post  leatherback Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:07 pm

For the last one on the last two pictures, I would carve out the top a littkle more. You now have two 'lips' sticking out of the side of the trunk. If you get rid of them, and carve them flush with the main stem it would look more natural, I think..
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Nice old bases with character, good work on the carving too. They look like Ligustrum sinensis, Chinese Privet. Great plant that grows really quickly and will ramify well. In this area, they're magnets for bugs: aphids, mealy and scale... you may have to watch them for infestation. I'd say right now, let the tops grow long to develop taper to hide the abrupt change from the thick old piece to the younger stems. Sometimes I've let mine grow out 4-6 feet before cutting back and repeating, for a couple of years. Take pictures along the way, it's amazing how they can change from when they were first collected!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 pm

And be prepared for the deadwood to keep on expending. Other privets don't seem to have that problem, but this species' wood seems to rot, no matter what you treat it with.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  hometeamrocker Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with leatherback and I think I'll take the 2nd one all the way up. I got several more off the pile that are growing like crazy, 2 that took 2 months longer than the others to bud out, but they are finally coming on. I'll be posting pics and asking for advice soon enough! Cheers guys.

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:00 am

Hi. (do you have other name? home teamrocketer is hard to type)

Anyway,
I agree with Jim, I think most privets rots easily. If it were mine I'll let it alone in the ground and let nature takes it natural course, probably it will recover and form new trunk lines with the old wounds and scars as a natural feature. if it is surviving on the ground you can still work on it and wire it, but don't put wood preservative on it.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down