Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maintaining Blue Atlas Cedar

3 posters

Go down

Maintaining Blue Atlas Cedar Empty Maintaining Blue Atlas Cedar

Post  colin mackness Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:35 pm

I bought a cedar in 1998 as an ordinary garden centre upright shrub.I have styled it as a cascade and am pleased with the progress so far but I may have been lucky.The reason being,I have never been sure of the method of foliage/needle pruning,is it similar to candle pinching on pines?
Cheers Colin

Last edited by colin mackness on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had to change text,no image uploaded)

colin mackness

Back to top Go down

Maintaining Blue Atlas Cedar Empty Re: Maintaining Blue Atlas Cedar

Post  iant Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 am

I don't know why no one is replying here... I'd be interested to hear how people train their cedars.
I don't have a lot of experience but I've had a green atlas and cedrus libani for 2 years now and I don't think they're like pines with candle pinching. They can put out growth faster and have greater energy stores. So I've been pinching back when the new growth gets to be about 1.5-2 inches and I'll pinch off about 3/4 inch. It then will usually spout 2 or 3 new buds at the pinch site. I think I can probably get that to happen 2-3 times in a growing season (but it's growing well and I have a long season in Calif.) With pines you only get 1 candle push for white but can get 2 for black. I think the cedar can do more and acts a little more like a deciduous tree.
Ian

iant

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 am

Good advice Iant , the big problem with cedar is repoting, he don't like the roots cutting .
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Maintaining Blue Atlas Cedar Empty Maintaining Blue Atlas Cedar

Post  colin mackness Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks Ian,that seems to be something along the lines I have been doing,but it,s nice to get a second opinion.
Colin

colin mackness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down